2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.9 engine, what is acceptable oil consumption ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 03:44 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I have almost 200K miles on mine, so, I am quite sure the valve seals are shot. I have my doubts about the valve guides as well, not to mention piston rings..... I haven't really done much diagnosis on it, mainly because even if I find what's wrong, I can't afford to fix it. I have another motor hanging on the engine stand in the garage, the plan, hopefully, is to 'freshen' it up this spring, and install it......

Well im about to slap some heads on my truck as I still have great compression on the 240k engine in a last ditch effort to avoid a full on rebuild until i get out of college. No smoke after it burns off the intial stuff. No significant blow by that i can tell.

Wish me luck I know its probably bad to put new heads on an old block.. oh well at teh very least i dont have to buy heads again.

Old 01-15-2016, 04:17 PM
Snowfan
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

268,000 miles on my niner with rebuilt heads. Uses almost no oil. Before the heads it was blowing 2qts per 5000 miles through the stem seals. A couple of them were riding the valves.

Old 01-15-2016, 04:20 PM
Snowfan
Professional

Originally Posted by Ham Bone
Well im about to slap some heads on my truck as I still have great compression on the 240k engine in a last ditch effort to avoid a full on rebuild until i get out of college. No smoke after it burns off the intial stuff. No significant blow by that i can tell.

Wish me luck I know its probably bad to put new heads on an old block.. oh well at teh very least i dont have to buy heads again.
The 'new heads on old block' theory generally does not apply to Magnum blocks because they are super high in nickel. Thats what my engine guy says.

I have 5000+ miles on my new heads and it runs excellent.

Old 01-15-2016, 04:30 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowfan
The 'new heads on old block' theory generally does not apply to Magnum blocks because they are super high in nickel. Thats what my engine guy says.

I have 5000+ miles on my new heads and it runs excellent.
sounds great to me. Now I'll sleep better.

Old 01-15-2016, 07:14 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 68 Likes on 66 Posts

At 196k on original parts, I'm using ~1Qt every 5k.

Old 01-17-2016, 08:17 AM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

stem seals are cheap to try, and parts stores loan out an overhead spring compressor. rockauto has them for $14 shipped. If the compression is good, I'd try that before investing in new heads.

Old 01-18-2016, 12:36 PM
wv ram
Amateur

ive had same problem ive found changing brands of oil sometimes will make a difference havoline stays in mine the longest of regular oils never like the brand but that's what stays the longest

Quick Reply: 5.9 engine, what is acceptable oil consumption ?