2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How to stop squeeling

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 04:39 AM
Roids87
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to stop squeeling

How can i stop the sqeeling of my serpentine belt on cold start ups? the squeeling doesnt go away untill the engine gets really warm, the squeeling also speeds up as the RPMs get higher, and then as the RPM's get high enough the squeeling stops all together...and as the revs drop, the squeeling doesnt come back. im not to sure if it's just the serpentine belt, or what, but any info on it would be appreciated.

Old 11-07-2005, 12:40 PM
pirranah
Veteran
Default RE: How to stop squeeling

they've got some nasty sticky tar stuff that is suppose to stop belt squeeks, but when you start up it slings that stuff everywhere. personally i would just check the pully and make sure its not worn out and is still tight. if anything you might just need a new belt. i took one back to napa cause it squeeled after a couple months. sometimes they're just old shelf belts

Old 11-07-2005, 12:52 PM
ljpierce_ely
Veteran

Something else that works, but it isn't permanent. Use a cheap bar of soap (IVORY or other some such) and while the engine is running, allow the soap bar to coat both surfaces of the belt.

MAKE SURE TO TRY AND PICK A PLACE WHERE YOUR HAND IS AS FAR AWAY FROM THE FAN AS POSSIBLE!!! I can't stress that point enough.

I've done this before and it does work, but as I said it's not permanent. You'll have to do it once or twice a week. I've also used that belt spray stuff and it creates more of a mess than its worth.

Old 11-07-2005, 12:58 PM
pirranah
Veteran

yah i used it and never again. i'm still finding spots i missed when i cleaned

Old 11-08-2005, 02:12 AM
dsmith678

Mine was doing the same thing last year..'98....I took to Goodyear had them replace never had noise since..guess the belt was bad

Old 11-08-2005, 03:34 AM
ljpierce_ely
Veteran

Most of the time, a simple belt replacement will take care of the problem. Sometimes, it won't. Near as I can figure it must have something to do with the material makeup of the belt itself. Just like some tires wear better than others, some belts are made different than others. Also, using the bar soap method delays the need to spend a bunch of money on a belt. Some of these serpentine belts are starting to cost a fortune!

Old 11-08-2005, 03:51 AM
01ramclassic
All Star

WD-40...[8D]

Old 11-08-2005, 03:55 AM
ljpierce_ely
Veteran

Never even thought of trying that. Putting a lube product on a part that needs some grip; to me seems a bit weird. But then again, WD-40 is good for alot of things.

Old 11-08-2005, 11:34 AM
bamory
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have same issue after my belt got saturated with coolant, i will probably have to replace, one thing to check is your tensioner, make sure it still has spring action to it to keep the tension.

Old 11-08-2005, 06:47 PM
1500sport
Professional

Try the soap trick and most likely if it stops squeling it is the belt. If you belt is very old or cracking at all it really is't that expensive to replace. A generic is about $20 and a good one (ex: Gatorback) is about $40 and if it stops the squeling its worth it.

Quick Reply: How to stop squeeling