2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tail gate adjustments?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 09:42 PM
evilemokid94
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail gate adjustments?

On my 99 ram, the tailgate is really funky. When you pull the handle it will only release the passenger side lock but won't unlock the driver side so I had to remove the bezel and pull the rods to get it to drop, the red rod clips are still there and holding, and j dint have an acessories cover to bend the rod, when it does release, the latch isn't resetting on the passenger side so I have to manually move the lever to get it to relatch. Iv sprayed everything down but what can I do to resolve these tailgate issues? I'd rather have the tailgate to where I can pull the handle so I can replace my bezel

Old 01-31-2016, 12:05 AM
hdbiker1
Amateur

Are the latch pins in the box adjusted properly? How are the tailgate bushings in the hinge?

Old 01-31-2016, 09:10 AM
evilemokid94
Professional

Originally Posted by hdbiker1
Are the latch pins in the box adjusted properly? How are the tailgate bushings in the hinge?
I pulled out the levers and rods today and cleaned and regressed everything and added a small bend to the end of the rods that go to the tailgate handle. The tailgate will now drop when the handle is pulled but it's still not resetting the latches on both sides. The driverside will reset but the passenger doesnt, I have to still move it myself

Old 01-31-2016, 11:31 AM
hdbiker1
Amateur

My problem with the tailgate was a lot of looseness. Hit a bump and it would rattle. I had to install the plastic bushings on each side of the hinge at the bottom. I also had to take a big torx to adjust the latch pins on each side of the box.
Will the passenger side reset manually? If it does, loosen the latch pin and move it to the rear slightly.

Old 01-31-2016, 10:41 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

I found I needed to remove the handle and clean/lube it well. Other wise the handle would snap back closed on its own.

Quick Reply: Tail gate adjustments?