2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Drum Breaks from HELL!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 06:04 PM
byronpen
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drum Breaks from HELL!!!!!!!!

Ive done, tons of drums over the years. So not a newbe.

Having Problems on my 99 dodge ram 1500. rear Break are not working , IvE been hammering last 10 hours of my day Hammering on my drums with 2 4 and 12lb hammers. I can't free them for the Life of me. Ive tried the reverse and hit the breaks, Heat, And clipped the retaining pins.

I need some Big help/

Old 03-26-2016, 08:12 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Be sure you've released the parking brake and backed off the self-adjusters.

Just joking. Moving along:

If'n ya got a couple of threaded holes in the drum on opposite sides of center and almost as far from center as you'd expect an axle flange to extend, find a couple of longish bolts with the right thread for them. Then just run them in there until they bottom, then tighten equally, just one turn to each side as you alternate between 'em. That'll pop that sucker loose for ya.

Old 03-26-2016, 09:47 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

You should try getting a 2500 drum off! I actually made large slide hammer to get mine off. Lip on the drum would catch the shoe even with everything backed off.

Quick Reply: Drum Breaks from HELL!!!!!!!!