2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Overdrive issue/transmission

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 11:34 PM
Ruleeman
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Overdrive issue/transmission

I just recently bought an 01 ram 1500 truck with 4x4 and the 5.9 in it. The truck has 140,000 miles but didn't come with any maintaince papers. The issue I am experiencing is it seems like it doesn't want to shift out of O/D. So I'll be on the highway doing 55 with cruise on and going up a steady/gradual incline in the road and it will jerk(almost like pulling a gooseneck trailer does). I can press the O/D off button and it will shift just fine. On some days the tranny seems sluggish, can sometimes hear a rough **** when rolling to stop, or a popping noise in acceleration and others it seems to be okay until those inclines. So I don't know if the pressure sensor and the O/D sensor is causing this or if I just need to have the transmission be rebuilt?

Old 04-19-2016, 12:02 AM
Nate_rs
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruleeman
I just recently bought an 01 ram 1500 truck with 4x4 and the 5.9 in it. The truck has 140,000 miles but didn't come with any maintaince papers. The issue I am experiencing is it seems like it doesn't want to shift out of O/D. So I'll be on the highway doing 55 with cruise on and going up a steady/gradual incline in the road and it will jerk(almost like pulling a gooseneck trailer does). I can press the O/D off button and it will shift just fine. On some days the tranny seems sluggish, can sometimes hear a rough **** when rolling to stop, or a popping noise in acceleration and others it seems to be okay until those inclines. So I don't know if the pressure sensor and the O/D sensor is causing this or if I just need to have the transmission be rebuilt?
Has the check engine light come on? Usually if it jerks in OD thats a pretty good indicator of an engine misfire

The popping noise on acceleration is usually pinging

Have you addressed the plenum gasket?

Old 04-19-2016, 07:19 AM
Ruleeman

Originally Posted by Nate_rs
Has the check engine light come on? Usually if it jerks in OD thats a pretty good indicator of an engine misfire

The popping noise on acceleration is usually pinging

Have you addressed the plenum gasket?

There is no check engine light or codes being displayed.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:58 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 389 Likes on 366 Posts

You may want to checkout the cap and rotor/plugs to see if they have been replaced recently. Also make sure your cap has brass inserts in it not the aluminum ones(they corrode). If all is good look down the throttle body(wide open throttle blades) and see if you see any oil at the bottom. You are right at the mileage they start to fail.

http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/p...p?partid=27091

Old 02-20-2018, 12:34 PM
Ruleeman

Originally Posted by Moparite
You may want to checkout the cap and rotor/plugs to see if they have been replaced recently. Also make sure your cap has brass inserts in it not the aluminum ones(they corrode). If all is good look down the throttle body(wide open throttle blades) and see if you see any oil at the bottom. You are right at the mileage they start to fail.

http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/p...p?partid=27091
Moparite - I ended up replacing the spark plugs and the spark wires. I think it was only running on 5 or 6 of the cylinders. I haven't replaced the rotor as I think it is still good.

Quick Reply: Overdrive issue/transmission