2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

how big of a cam can you run?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 09:36 PM
mccart
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how big of a cam can you run?

I'm deciding what cam to run in my 408. Running icon 10.5:1 dish top pistons. And ported magnum heads. Anybody have an idea of how much lift I can run before running into piston to valve clearance issues? The cam I want to run is .555/.576 lift. Just trying to avoid the headache of pulling it all back apart and cutting valve reliefs deeper

Old 05-01-2016, 10:38 PM
cruzer55
Veteran

Get a DESKTOP DYNO,run some build spec's before spending money on parts.It will let your dream be real or give the real answer.Lots of spec's and choice of parts(not brands).It's cheaper than making paperwieghts with broken parts.

Old 05-01-2016, 11:03 PM
mccart
Veteran

Originally Posted by cruzer55
Get a DESKTOP DYNO,run some build spec's before spending money on parts.It will let your dream be real or give the real answer.Lots of spec's and choice of parts(not brands).It's cheaper than making paperwieghts with broken parts.
What is this? Never heard of such thing

Old 05-02-2016, 12:25 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's right around the limit on stock bottom end. Hate to say but you're gonna have to assemble it and measure it.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:36 AM
cruzer55
Veteran

You need to get out more.Lots of engine builders are using this concept in todays HP builds,There are many on-line programs for suggestions and fact for you to concider.Just a thought...........

Old 05-02-2016, 08:56 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cruzer55
You need to get out more.Lots of engine builders are using this concept in todays HP builds,There are many on-line programs for suggestions and fact for you to concider.Just a thought...........

Uhhh, this is a custom build with higher compression on a production block with loose tolerances compared to modern engines or race engines. To do it right you need to measure it. Assembled. Programs are great to see what kind of power you might put down.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:56 PM
Adobedude
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mccart
I'm deciding what cam to run in my 408. Running icon 10.5:1 dish top pistons. And ported magnum heads. Anybody have an idea of how much lift I can run before running into piston to valve clearance issues? The cam I want to run is .555/.576 lift. Just trying to avoid the headache of pulling it all back apart and cutting valve reliefs deeper
What valve springs are you using?
Watch you coil bind, magnum heads don't allow much lift.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:59 PM
mccart
Veteran

Originally Posted by Adobedude
What valve springs are you using?
Watch you coil bind, magnum heads don't allow much lift.
I'm getting the spring seats cut down to accommodate the .750 coil bind springs.

Quick Reply: how big of a cam can you run?