2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Replace headlight knob

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 07:29 AM
PX
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace headlight ****

I"ve got a 2000 Ram sport. Need to replace the **** on the headlight switch. I was going to replace the whole switch unit, but it turns out I ordered the wrong switch. The one I need is WITH the fog lights, the one I ordered by mistake is for a truck without fog lights. Can I just replace the **** since that's the only issue? And if so, How does the **** come off the new switch? It doesn't seem to want to come off.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:58 AM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PX
I"ve got a 2000 Ram sport. Need to replace the **** on the headlight switch. I was going to replace the whole switch unit, but it turns out I ordered the wrong switch. The one I need is WITH the fog lights, the one I ordered by mistake is for a truck without fog lights. Can I just replace the **** since that's the only issue? And if so, How does the **** come off the new switch? It doesn't seem to want to come off.
When you have the switch all the way out, theres a release sping somewhere on that box. Push that gismo in and the **** and rod come out of the switch.

Old 08-11-2016, 12:05 PM
frankie_b_jr
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Toby Warford
When you have the switch all the way out, theres a release sping somewhere on that box. Push that gismo in and the **** and rod come out of the switch.
This works for the 97 and older trucks. The 98 and up have the twist style.

You should be able to just pull the **** off the new switch and swap them, but some are glued in to prevent that. Just look at your old **** and see if there is something else holding it before tearing the new switch apart. If it doesn't come off moderate force, then you'll be better off returning the wrong switch and getting the right one.

Quick Reply: Replace headlight knob