2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trim Level Differences (2nd Gen)

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 08:49 PM
Darkhorse141
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Trim Level Differences (2nd Gen)

Just bought a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Sport with 5.9L motor. Was wondering if someone had a grid or table to explain the differences in the trim levels for that year so I know what I have and don't have. I've wanted one of these trucks since I was 16 and am so excited to have it. Just wondering what designation Sport had over other options. Both Wikipedia, Wikicars, and Dodge website were unclear as to what options actually designated other than cab size and bed size. Also truck is an automatic. Any information would be greatly appreciated, as well as known problems and things to look out for. Already having to replace the wheel bearing and possibly tie rod ends as well as u-joint because of them rusting out. Thanks. Truck is also only at 135k miles.

Old 08-12-2016, 10:28 PM
renardk764
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Follow instructions on this page https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-my-truck.html to obtain the build sheet for your truck. Also, check out the DIY links for essential info regarding common issues. You'll find factory service manuals there also. Have fun!

Old 08-13-2016, 04:00 AM
Darkhorse141
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks.

Thanks for the information.

Old 08-13-2016, 08:36 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

Any information would be greatly appreciated, as well as known problems and things to look out for.
Not in any particular order but here are a few.

Plenum gasket

Front suspension/axle problems, ball joints, trac bar, wheel u joints, sway bar etc... as you said the front end need some work so go over everything. And use only spicer u joints, Plenty of posts on this subject.

Rear brake line rusting out next to the gas tank. Front section of the frame, gas tank support straps.

Wild vents

heater core

If you look through the posts here you will see the major ones because we all have had them.

Old 08-13-2016, 11:17 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Sport was an appearance package with color matched bumpers and grille. A decal on each side of the bed rear panels said "sport". In 1999 the Sports received new unique grilles and bumpers with integrated fog lights and decals along the hood sides rather than the bed. Some sources claim Sports had adjusted fuel trim for an added 5hp bringing the 5.9 to 250hp but that has never been confirmed by Mopar. All other trim, drivetrain, and option packages are available separately and best discovered through the VIN search mentioned above.

Quick Reply: Trim Level Differences (2nd Gen)