2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

over heating ---- cracked heads ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 04:19 AM
darrin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default over heating ---- cracked heads ?

I am looking at a 94 ram 1500 4x4 to use for hunting and fishing, i was told the motor needed some work. A very good "shade-tree" mechanic ( who works on our limos) he tought it might have a cracked head, it does over heat, water pump works ( new ). But even after it runs for a few minutes it does not have any white smoke, nor black smoke from bad rings, and i did not see any signs of water on the oil dip-stick. It does suck in your hand on the exhaust, only at a certain time like when a certain piston fires ( v-8 duel exhaust ) if you hold it right up against the tip. My question is could it be a cracked head, craked head gasket, or could it have a stuck valve in to open position? thanks any help would be great

Old 11-14-2005, 04:34 AM
2004 Hemi Quad
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: over heating ---- cracked heads ?

My suggestion is to get the cooling system pressure tested. Check the oil cap for foaming sludge. Are you loosing coolant or is it just overheating? Check the radiator to make sure it isn't plugged also check and see if it has a clutch fan....the fan clutch could be faulty too. Oh check the rad cap as well to insure that it is sealing properly

Quick Reply: over heating ---- cracked heads ?