2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Piston Removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 11:39 PM
Mark Woolf
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Piston Removal

Hey Guys,

Anyone remove pistons with the engine still in the truck? Seems simple, Remove heads, intake, and pan. Then push the pistons through. I'm wondering if anyone has run into the problem of too much of a ridge to get the pistons out.

Anyway, I may be in the neighborhood on replacing my rings, too much blow by it seems which leads to oil consumption. Can I get away with using standard rings to fix my problem or should get over-sized rings? Let's say .010". Will I need to bore the cylinders or can i get away with honing them and putting over-sized rings on?

Thanks!

Old 11-10-2016, 06:45 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

The ridge depends on how many miles is on it. I took apart a motor with about 200k on it and it really didn't have that much of a ridge. As far as the rings you need to see/measure the cylinder wall and check for roundness. If it's worn(out of round) new rings wont seal so it will need to be machined. The amount depend on how worn it is.

Old 11-10-2016, 10:05 AM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oil consumption? Have you checked your plenum yet?

Old 11-10-2016, 02:37 PM
Mark Woolf
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dbbd1
Oil consumption? Have you checked your plenum yet?
Yes, the plenum was replaced. But I kinda have a feeling that the pan is warped. Might get a Hughes kit with the 1/4" pan.