2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ECU Limp Mode when HID Headlights are On

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 06:01 AM
Jlags
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECU Limp Mode when HID Headlights are On

I have a 03 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4X4 5.7L. This issue is driving me nuts. I have both High Quality HID Head & Fog Lights.
Only when the headlights are on the ECU/ECM goes into Limp Mode/Flashing Lighting Bolt about 3 minutes of driving.
My current therory is the HID ballast are creating EMI/EMF harmonics on the Can-bus line to the ECU causing a fault. The ballast are currently solidly installed on upper front frame rail.
Any support or input would be appreciated.
I was going to install and Schaffer EMI filter on both lamps. Wrap the ballast and Cables in shielded loom. Install and 1.5 uf capacitor on primary load side of the power distribution panel. Add ferreites to both power and can-but lines for both lamps.
Only other thing I am considering is adding a distribution ignition free wheeling diode to protect against potential spike on any possible field collapse. Thanks

Old 11-19-2016, 06:53 AM
ramsportrocks
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you accidently clicked on 2nd gen ram you need this in the 3rd gen section