2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Looking to Upgrade the 896 fog light bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 06:59 PM
nateblong
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to Upgrade the 896 fog light bulbs

So I run Silverstar Ultra 9007 and 9004 bulbs in my 2000 Sport and they are great. Sylvania makes them but does not make an upgrade for the Fog lights. I have tried several of the new LED gimmicks and they all suck...horrible actual light to the road to SEE with. Anyone have any good results with an 896 bulb that I haven't been able to find? I can find the stock ones easily and they work good but I'd like a brighter bulb in my fog light housings.. I am not looking for HID, LED or any of the thousands of silly "Gimmick" bulbs out there. Also not looking for anything that have a higher wattage draw and will melt wires and housings, I just want more light to the road using the stock housings...Anyone have any suggestions or experience with better 896 bulbs? Thank you!

Old 01-14-2017, 12:54 AM
beeker
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The 37.5 watt fog bulbs are just cosmetic accent lighting. Not bright enough for use as an actual driving aid. I've done the HID melted blinding fog lights in the past. I ended up installing mini hid fog projectors in the bumper grill, they have the cutoffs so no blinding other drivers. Put lots of light to the ground where it should be. I'm going to upgrade these again to led projectors soon, still have same cutoffs and good output but less heat.

Last edited by beeker; 01-14-2017 at 03:09 AM.
Old 01-14-2017, 01:17 AM
nateblong
Professional

Cool. Would you mind telling me what you are running for those and where you found them? Sounds like something I might want to look into...

Old 01-14-2017, 03:40 AM
beeker
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's a link to what I have. I installed the 2inch projectors in the small holes in the sport bumper. I used the relay harness direct from the battery. the lights are switched on and off with the fog light switch. I think these are 35 watt HID ballasts, don't use 55 watt with these housings or the reflector inside will melt. I had to make a custom mount using thick steel strapping tape that would bend a little for final aiming adjustments.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Projector-HI...tGaV0A&vxp=mtr

Old 01-14-2017, 08:51 PM
nateblong
Professional

Not a bad idea. Same place I would mount them too. Thanks for the help man, and nice looking truck.