2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46RE OD downshift and TC unlock

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 12:28 PM
lawman5050
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah it may be locking up in third and it's just harder to notice. I'll have to drive it some more and see. I'm getting ready to head out of town for a week so it will be a little while until i can mess with it again.

I emailed Hemifever and he may have the fix for me. He can't adjust downshifts because it is all mechanical but he does think he can adjust when the torque converter unlocks. He will be tweaking my tune to see what he can do.

I'm hoping this will take care of my problem. If the TC unlocks earlier going up a hill, that in turn will allow the transmission top downshift out of OD earlier if needed. From what I understand, the transmission won't downshift when the TC is locked.

I can't say enough good things about Hemifever's tunes and his customer service. I bought a tuner with his canned tunes from him several years ago. About a month ago he got a new software update that let him tweak a lot more parameters within his tunes. He sent me three new canned tunes to try. These new tunes have a huge improvement in the low and mid range. If anybody is running his tunes, email him for updated tunes. The updates made a big difference for me.

Also he is going to tweak my tune to help with my TC unlock. I didn't pay extra for custom tunes but he is going to do some minor tweaks for me anyways. He always provides great customer service and a great product.