2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Steering Box Brace- Yes or No?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 09:16 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Steering Box Brace- Yes or No?

I am running stock tires on my truck, no big engines mods.

Is it worth it to install a steering box brace? I found one on Amazon for about 90 smackers. (With good reviews)

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 04-30-2017, 11:38 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 339 Likes on 320 Posts

I run one and I'm very happy with it. I feel that it's likely to help to make my steering gearbox last longer and help to minimize some front end flex. I run a Borgeson steering gearbox and it requires a different brace than the stock steering gearbox, since the Borgeson gearbox moves the center-line of the steering pinion over about 1/2" (if I recall correctly).

Old 05-01-2017, 11:00 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Meh. Up to you really.

I put one one years ago with all stock equipment. It helped maybe a 1/16th of an inch with my "2 hour" slop in the wheel.

Thing is, once I finally replaced the gear, that was where all the slop was anyway. So the brace didn't hardly do anything.

Old 06-09-2017, 12:20 AM
armynurse
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm wondering if that might even be the same one I put in my truck just a couple years ago. I'm running a 2" lift with 33" tires, and figured it couldn't hurt; might help.

I haven't noticed anything different with how it drives (wasn't having a problem before-hand). Filed it under prevention/reinforcement.

Old 06-10-2017, 11:48 PM
MasonArmstrong
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gear box braces can't hurt and they do help a bit more when your running a big lift and big tires. If you decide to get one, I would look at the ones from hell bent steel. They are a bit more expensive, but they make great products, have a great reputation, and in my experience they have great customer service. I'll put the link to it below:

https://www.hellbentsteel.com/shop/d...bar-1994-2001/