2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1994 Front To Back Brake Line Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 06:25 PM
BlueKota
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I was able to get the line and fittings from NAPA today. I just started at the fitting where the line changes over to the rubber hose, and used the fitting that came on the line to thread into that connector. Then I cut the old line just past the tank where it looked fairly good and put a union there to join the old and new line. I tried using a cheap flare tool, but it didn't seem to work right... so I'm a little worried those fittings are going to leak.

Its definitely not "professional" work... I just snaked it along the rail and its not in the factory clips. But I paid $1500 for this truck and only plan to use it for Mendards runs. Just by-passing the old line is fine for now to get the rear brakes working again.

I ran out of time to bleed them though so I'm not 100% certain everything is back in working order. I don't see any leaks anymore, but the pedal still goes right to the floor with little resistance. I'm hoping bleeding helps, but knowing my luck the master cylinder is failing and the leak was just a coincidence.

Old 05-07-2017, 08:26 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 319 Likes on 301 Posts

For safety's sake, please be sure that you are putting a double flare on your steel replacement brake lines - if you don't have a double flaring tool, they can be purchased cheaply here:

https://www.harborfreight.com/double...kit-66534.html

Old 05-07-2017, 10:28 PM
BlueKota

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
For safety's sake, please be sure that you are putting a double flare on your steel replacement brake lines - if you don't have a double flaring tool, they can be purchased cheaply here:

https://www.harborfreight.com/double...kit-66534.html
I bought one of the tools today too. I tried to flare the lines, but something didn't seem right when I was doing it. After watching videos on it I know see what I screwed up.

So it looks like next weekend will be spent replacing my replaced line with new replacement line, with properly flared ends. At least I will be able to do the whole thing a lot faster now that I've done it once.

Old 05-12-2017, 01:22 PM
mtfallsmikey

Or.... Inline Tube

Old 05-12-2017, 01:30 PM
BlueKota

Originally Posted by mtfallsmikey
Or.... Inline Tube
Come again?

Old 05-12-2017, 08:42 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 319 Likes on 301 Posts

Inline Tube is another vendor that sells pre-made brake lines and other brake parts.