2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ac problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 11:05 PM
bmickman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ac problem

99 dodge ram 1500. Recently replaced new ac condensor. Started today. Made noise like when as a kid u put baseball card in spokes of bike. Opened hood. The dye i used to locate leak in ac condensor was all over under side of hood and on top of ac compressor where ac lines go into it. Still blowing cold air. Dont know if system might be over charged. When i added freon guage showed i was well within specs. That leak just showed up. Any help would be appreciated

Old 05-07-2017, 03:16 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The compressor could be making the noise because it's low, but most likely the compressor is going bad if it's making that noise. Is it leaking from the line or from the compressor. The compressor tends to leak on these trucks, so you may want to try to narrow it down a little before replacing it or the lines.

Are you using actual A/C gauge to check it, or the parts store gauges that just clip on the low side? You need gauges that allow you to read the low side and the high side to do this job properly. I hate those cans and gauges the parts stores sell, because they really do cause more harm than good. If you're using A/C gauges you should be able to make sure it's not low or overcharged. If you see dye coming out, it's obviously leaking somewhere though. It's a sealed system so you should never have any refrigerant leak out. Even if it was overcharged, it wouldn't leak out unless you had another problem.

Old 05-07-2017, 08:22 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 364 Likes on 342 Posts

Recently replaced new ac condensor
Did you add oil? Even though most of it is in the receiver dryer you should add some whenever you replace a component. Was it evacuated before you added the freon? Did you use pro gauges or just the one on the can of freon? As said above you can see what the pressures(high and low side) are with a pro gauge set. If you are seeing die you should also see oil wherever the leak is.

Old 05-07-2017, 08:46 AM
bmickman

i didn't add any oil. is adding oil something i can do now? when i put the new condenser in it had been out of refrigerant for a couple years. all i did was put that dye in found the bottom of old compressor showed a leak. removed and put in new condenser. it wasn't evacuated didn't think necessary cause like i said hadn't blown any cool air in awhile. The only guage i had was the one that came with the can of refrig i used. I added 32 oz of refrig like the mopar dealer said.

Old 05-07-2017, 08:50 AM
bmickman

that leak at top of compressor has happened since putting in the new condenser. i have periodically gone out with uv light and checked. when i heard that noise i checked again and noticed that leak. i only had that guage that comes with the refrig. i put in 32 oz like mopar dealer said. I'm gone during week only home usually on Saturdays. not many garages around here open on weekend to get a good guage reading

Old 05-07-2017, 09:29 AM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm shooting from the hip here (because ac really is not my thing)...

Does the system have a pressure relief valve somewhere, could that have caused the symptoms that the OP had?

Old 05-07-2017, 07:37 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 364 Likes on 342 Posts

it wasn't evacuated didn't think necessary
ANY time the system is opened to outside air it is necessary to evacuate it.