2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Strange noise on hard exceleration 5.9 gas

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 06:36 PM
John Warner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange noise on hard exceleration 5.9 gas

I bought this truck cheap and i really bought it as a toy its a 99.runs good at idle and driving normal got new heads on it so new fluids newer used tranny. Anyway back to the problem when you really put your foot into it it almost sounds like the belt is slipping or something and a little smoke will puff out the back it only last a split second at a time moving i cant tell if its coming from tail pipe or what. Has anyone experienced this before im lost cause it runs strong

Old 05-23-2017, 08:33 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 340 Likes on 321 Posts

Could be time to replace your serpentine belt and/or the belt tensioner to fix the belt squeak issue. As for the smoke coming out of the back, try getting a friend to follow you when you take the truck out for a test spin to see where that smoke is actually coming from (to see if its coming from an exhaust pipe or somewhere else).

Old 05-23-2017, 09:03 PM
John Warner
Default Noise

Got new belt and tensioner

Old 05-23-2017, 09:26 PM
John Warner
Default Sounds i don't get

Originally Posted by John Warner
Got new belt and tensioner
in that split second the rpm drops a little bit its literally less than a second

Old 05-24-2017, 04:45 AM
Maximillio
Professional

Shot in the dark, check the condition of your harmonic balancer. I recently watched a video of a guy with a 5.9 who was having odd noises like what you described when he would accelerate, and it was his balancer.

Old 05-24-2017, 08:57 AM
John Warner

Originally Posted by Maximillio
Shot in the dark, check the condition of your harmonic balancer. I recently watched a video of a guy with a 5.9 who was having odd noises like what you described when he would accelerate, and it was his balancer.
thanks its worth a try i have burnt brain cells trying to figure it out it runs so good with normal driving but i got a lead foot and like to play

Old 05-24-2017, 08:59 AM
John Warner

Originally Posted by John Warner
thanks its worth a try i have burnt brain cells trying to figure it out it runs so good with normal driving but i got a lead foot and like to play
ive only got around 2 grand in it with the new heads and all so its not hurting yet lol