DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech-64/)
-   -   '96 V10 No Start (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/404611-96-v10-no-start.html)

paulz 06-14-2017 09:17 PM

'96 V10 No Start

Hi, got a no start issue. If I crawl under and short the two terminals at the solenoid it starts right up. I put a voltmeter on the start terminal, nothing when I turn the key. Under the hood there is a box of relays. One says 'starter' I have power to that but I don't hear it click. Neutral switch maybe? Any other known faults in this circuit? Anything else besides the neutral switch that will prohibit starting? Thanks.

HeyYou 06-14-2017 11:16 PM

Possibly bad neutral switch, or bad relay. All the relays are pretty much the same, so, just swap it with another one, to see if its bad. If it isn't, gonna have to go chasing power.

If you don't already have one, you can download a service manual for your truck from here. Wiring diagrams are in section 8W.

Welcome to DF! :D

paulz 06-15-2017 02:31 PM

Hey You! Thanks! I have printed out the relevant pages from the link you posted, think I understand the circuits, just need to get out to my ranch to figure it out.

HeyYou 06-15-2017 03:33 PM

Let us know how it turns out. :D

paulz 06-18-2017 12:40 PM

I've managed to isolate it down to the circuit that runs from the ignition switch to the relay. Got 12v going into the switch but only about half that at the relay. Only thing in between is a 'bypass jumper' for the clutch switch in manual trans trucks. Got to be either that, which I assume is under the steering column somewhere, or at the switch.

HeyYou 06-18-2017 12:47 PM

Does that circuit apply power, or provide ground? Dodge can't seem to make up their mind which way to go on that. :)

paulz 06-18-2017 12:55 PM

LOL, yeah I noticed that. Power runs to the ignition switch, through that bypass jumper then to one side of the relay coil. The other side of the relay coil runs through the neutral safety switch and then to ground. I have a good ground at the relay so the neutral switch must be OK. Going over in a little while to find that jumper.

CJSuhr 06-18-2017 10:24 PM

That jumper is half in with a Christmas tree clip on the INSIDE of the bracket for the big honkin whatever-pin connector under the dash. The big box thing with all the wires. The wires that run there are all yellow wires. Hard to miss in the mess under the dash. It's not next to the steering colum, if your flexible enough, you can get to it without removing then knee bolster.

paulz 06-18-2017 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by CJSuhr (Post 3347098)
That jumper is half in with a Christmas tree clip on the INSIDE of the bracket for the big honkin whatever-pin connector under the dash. The big box thing with all the wires. The wires that run there are all yellow wires. Hard to miss in the mess under the dash. It's not next to the steering colum, if your flexible enough, you can get to it without removing then knee bolster.

Thanks! I crawled under there three times today and couldn't find it. Unfortunately I'm back at home now, won't get another look for a couple days. I did notice that big square connector, a couple inches square, to the left of the steering column. So it's on the bracket for that? Thanks, looking forward to finding it.

I did, in the mean time, shove a jumper wire into the slot in the relay that wire goes to, put the relay in and touched the jumper to the positive battery terminal, with the key on. Fired right up, so I'm closing in on it, and at least I can start the truck if needed. Hope it's the jumper but I have a feeling it might be the ignition switch.

CJSuhr 06-18-2017 11:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 28886

It will sit like that, but just on the inside of that grey metal bracket. The clip goes in that hole.