2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bearing failure caused my wheel to fall off while I was driving.. Help needed.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2017 | 10:24 AM
AtomicDog
Champion

You are going to need a caliper mount. It looks like it's snapped off when the wheel came off. I tend to get those at the junk yard.

Old 07-09-2017 | 11:38 PM
getdown78
Veteran

Originally Posted by Turrens
I live in the boonies. My local parts store can't get a replacement part until thursday, and amazon will deliver to me by tuesday..
where do you live in colorado ?

Old 07-09-2017 | 11:53 PM
Turrens
|

Originally Posted by getdown78
where do you live in colorado ?
South east, near ordway and lajunta

Old 07-10-2017 | 12:15 AM
getdown78
Veteran

Originally Posted by Turrens
South east, near ordway and lajunta
Just came thru that way on the way home from blue lake today ! Gonna be going back next sat if you need me to bring you a bearing from oriellys in town ?

Old 07-11-2017 | 03:01 PM
Turrens
|

What a nightmare this is turning into... I removed the spindel nut, and about half of the leftover bearing that I pictured earlier... But the other half it twisted and stuck onto the axel rod.... I'm banging on it with a hammer, and trying to pry it off with a screwdriver, but I'm getting zero movement... I tried my dremel, but it's a battery powered job, and it died after like 1/4 cut..

Any suggestions..?

Old 07-11-2017 | 04:52 PM
xtopher

Same thing happened to my 98 2wd, only on the freeway. Luckily the wheel didn't come off completely. The hub pretty much welded itself to the spindle, and I was able to get a guy to grind the spindle back down to mostly smooth, but I did need to replace it. If you're having that much trouble getting it off, it might be simpler just to replace the spindle, too.

Old 07-11-2017 | 05:18 PM
Turrens
|

Originally Posted by xtopher
Same thing happened to my 98 2wd, only on the freeway. Luckily the wheel didn't come off completely. The hub pretty much welded itself to the spindle, and I was able to get a guy to grind the spindle back down to mostly smooth, but I did need to replace it. If you're having that much trouble getting it off, it might be simpler just to replace the spindle, too.

Hmm, I have no idea how to replace a spindle... Is it a simple job? what kinda tools do you need?

Old 07-11-2017 | 05:42 PM
Turrens
|

Originally Posted by xtopher

Hmm, I have no idea how to replace a spindle... Is it a simple job? what kinda tools do you need?

Old 07-11-2017 | 05:47 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion

Try a propane torch, That should heat it up enough to get it off. Unless it spun and seized it self to the spindle. Then you can cut it off with die grinder with cut off wheel. Just have to be careful not to grind into the spindle.

Old 07-11-2017 | 06:17 PM
Turrens
|

Originally Posted by Moparite
Try a propane torch, That should heat it up enough to get it off. Unless it spun and seized it self to the spindle. Then you can cut it off with die grinder with cut off wheel. Just have to be careful not to grind into the spindle.

If i do nick the spindle a little is that ok? or would any grove mess up the roatation of the new bearing?