2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Remote start wiring

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 10:01 PM
97ramrod1500
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Remote start wiring

I purchased the Viper 4105v remote start for my 99 ram. Wondering if anyone here has installed their own remote start? This kit is remote start and door lock/unlock. Looking around online I see most posts about 5-wire reverse polarity and relays.

My question is: my truck has factory keyless entry so do I need to mess around with the 2 relays or Is it just tapping into the 2 wires for lock/unlock?

Next question: this is going to be in a diesel. I will be tapping into the "wait to start" circuit and the tachometer circuit. Can I tap these circuits behind the instrument cluster do do I have to have to access them by the pcm?

Old 09-21-2017, 06:55 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 365 Likes on 343 Posts

I purchased the Viper 4105v remote start for my 99 ram
Did you happen to look and see if it will work with a diesel before you bought it? Some just look at the voltage going up when the engine starts and some actually have a separate module for diesels. You need to look into how your model does it.

Old 09-21-2017, 09:12 AM
97ramrod1500
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, it grounds through the wait to start wire so when the light goes out the starter begins cranking.

Old 09-21-2017, 03:30 PM
Maximillio
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 97ramrod1500
I purchased the Viper 4105v remote start for my 99 ram. Wondering if anyone here has installed their own remote start? This kit is remote start and door lock/unlock. Looking around online I see most posts about 5-wire reverse polarity and relays.

My question is: my truck has factory keyless entry so do I need to mess around with the 2 relays or Is it just tapping into the 2 wires for lock/unlock?

Next question: this is going to be in a diesel. I will be tapping into the "wait to start" circuit and the tachometer circuit. Can I tap these circuits behind the instrument cluster do do I have to have to access them by the pcm?
As a matter of fact Yep! https://www.the12volt.com/installbay...42359&get=last

That site is great for help if you need it, these viper systems generally arent meant for personal install so you have to do some research into proper wiring, and these guys helped me double check my own research. Got it installed myself and full functional. You should also search wiring info for your year/model as you can find most install relevant information there. And when you go to install it, having a DMM handy will really really give peace of mind so you can verify all the wires your tapping into for sure.

As far as the lock goes, I think I also had a factory keyless, but no alarm, and the module they recommended to me worked great for my kit, unsure if it would be appropriate for yours as well, but they could tell you.