2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Starts but won’t stay running - suspect electrical

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 09:05 AM
MilesBFree
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Starts but won’t stay running - suspect electrical

Hi,

This is a ‘99 v6...

Got in my truck this morning and the starter just went click. I turned the key off and tried it again and it went click but then it fired right up.

So I was thinking solenoid.

Then I let off the gas and it died immediately. So then I thought maybe since I hadn’t driven it in a couple of weeks it only needed to be warmed up so I restarted it (fired right up) and kept it at ~2,000 RPM to warm up. After 30 seconds I let off the gas and it died right away.

So I put the battery charger on it for an hour (started at 60% charge and was up to 96% after an hour).

I restarted it and exactly the same thing happens. It clicked once then started, and dies when I let off th3 gas.

I am thinking electrical. Any ideas on what it is specifically? Voltage reg? Something else with the alternator?

Thanks in advance!

Old 10-15-2017, 09:12 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 389 Likes on 366 Posts

What do the battery terminals look like?

Old 10-15-2017, 09:19 AM
MilesBFree
Professional

Originally Posted by Moparite
What do the battery terminals look like?
great minds - I pulled those off and inspected when I put the charger on. They were clean.

Battery is about 9 months old. It took the charge earlier and it didn’t make a difference.

Old 10-15-2017, 07:01 PM
MilesBFree
Professional

Figured it out - the aftermarket battery terminal clamp on the positive post had cracked and one of the nuts holding the cable in the clamp fell out. So the positive cable didn’t make great contact.

New cable end end and back in business.