2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

brake problems on 2000 Ram

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005 | 11:55 PM
Blue2k
Default brake problems on 2000 Ram

I just bought a 2000 Ram 1500 4x4, with the 5.2. It drives great except this evening when I was driving back to school, I came to a stop, and the brake pedal got real mushy, and my ABS and Brake lights both came on. (I did not have the parking brake engaged). The pedal feels normal when you apply brake pressure while you are cruising, but as soon as you come to a stop the brake pedal sinks. My brake fluid reservior is NOT loosing fluid. I'm thinking its the master cylinder, could it be anything else. Thanks for your help.

Old 11-28-2005 | 02:27 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Default RE: brake problems on 2000 Ram

it is most likely the master cylinder... have you done any brake work to it lately? is there a chance there is moisture in the brake fluid? you could try flushing the brake system and see how that goes...

Old 11-28-2005 | 02:52 PM
Blue2k

I havn't done any work to this truck. I bought it the tues before Thanksgiving then went out of town. When I was driving it back to school was when I noticed the brakes were acting funky. I would take it back to the dealer and have them figure it out, but I'm up at school which is in a different part of the state than my house. Has anyone ever changed a master cylinder before? it doesn't look that hard. However, I only have limited tools and no garage up at my school. Also, is bleeding ABS any different that bleeding a regular brake system?

Old 11-28-2005 | 03:05 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

ah, then take it back to the dealer you bought it from, they are responsible for working brakes. they should fix it for free

Old 11-28-2005 | 08:11 PM
1500sport
Professional

ORIGINAL: Blue2k

I havn't done any work to this truck. I bought it the tues before Thanksgiving then went out of town. When I was driving it back to school was when I noticed the brakes were acting funky. I would take it back to the dealer and have them figure it out, but I'm up at school which is in a different part of the state than my house. Has anyone ever changed a master cylinder before? it doesn't look that hard. However, I only have limited tools and no garage up at my school. Also, is bleeding ABS any different that bleeding a regular brake system?
Did you buy it from a dodge dealer and if so did it come with any kind of warranty. I bought mine used from a dodge dealer and it had a 3 month 3,000 mile warranty and they told me if I had any problems that any dodge dealer could fix it under warranty.

Old 11-28-2005 | 09:45 PM
Blue2k

I did not buy it from a dodge dealer, it was a used car broker. It has a 1 month, 1k mile warranty on the engine, tranny, and diffs. They are going to see what they can do about it. The dealer is 3 hours away from where i am right now, and I won't have a chance to go back untill december. I need to fix this problem ASAP, because I drive this truck on a regular basis. My first priority is to fix the brakes, then I can work out the situation with the dealership. Is bleeding the brakes on an ABS system different than bleeding regular brake systems?

Quick Reply: brake problems on 2000 Ram