DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech-64/)
-   -   Dodge Dana 70 rear brake complete hardware kit? (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/409851-dodge-dana-70-rear-brake-complete-hardware-kit.html)

AtomicDog 12-17-2017 09:09 PM

Dodge Dana 70 rear brake complete hardware kit?

I'm planing to perform a complete rebuild of the drum brakes on the rear of a 1996 Dodge Dana 70 with 13" x 2.5" drums. Unfortunately, I need everything, as the rear axle only came with the drums, backing plates and wheel cylinders (without the pushrod parts that push against the shoes) only. Does anyone know where I can find a complete hardware kit or am I going to have to find parts like the parking brake strut+ spring, parking brake lever and wheel cylinder shoe pins, etc. separately?

HeyYou 12-17-2017 09:22 PM

Parts store has always been able to come up with them for me. Two or three different kits generally provide every part in there...... Check with your local parts stores, or Rock Auto......

AtomicDog 12-19-2017 08:09 PM

I'm not having much luck finding the parts I need to do this brake job. I need the wheel cylinder pushrods (4761607), the shoe guide plates (4761598) and the parking brake lever and strut package (4761585). Anyone know of any good sources for these parts?

MoparFanatic21 12-19-2017 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by AtomicDog (Post 3371170)
I'm not having much luck finding the parts I need to do this brake job. I need the wheel cylinder pushrods (4761607), the shoe guide plates (4761598) and the parking brake lever and strut package (4761585). Anyone know of any good sources for these parts?

Can't buy the push rods. The show guide plates do you mean backing plate? Should be able to get the last one

HeyYou 12-19-2017 09:13 PM

The guide plates are available from any parts store that carries dorman products. (probably in the "Help" section) May have to source the rest from a junkyard.

AtomicDog 12-19-2017 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21 (Post 3371174)
Can't buy the push rods. The show guide plates do you mean backing plate? Should be able to get the last one

I do mean shoe guide plates - they are shaped somewhat like diamonds with a hole in the center - they sit at the brake shoe pivot point behind the brake springs at the top of the backing plate.

MoparFanatic21 12-19-2017 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by AtomicDog (Post 3371205)
I do mean shoe guide plates - they are shaped somewhat like diamonds with a hole in the center - they sit at the brake shoe pivot point behind the brake springs at the top of the backing plate.

Ok I understand now. As HeyYou said check the help section. The parking brake assembly can be bought. I know advance calls it "Rear Secondary Brake Assembly"

AtomicDog 12-19-2017 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by HeyYou (Post 3371189)
The guide plates are available from any parts store that carries dorman products. (probably in the "Help" section) May have to source the rest from a junkyard.

That's what I was afraid of. They are somewhat hard to find, as 3/4 ton Dodge trucks don't seem to make it to the self-serve yards in this area very often.

2bit 12-19-2017 10:33 PM

Push rods might be the same from a lighter duty axle. I have 1 ton wheel cylinders in my 1/2 ton. The push rods fit the same.

AtomicDog 12-20-2017 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by 2bit (Post 3371228)
Push rods might be the same from a lighter duty axle. I have 1 ton wheel cylinders in my 1/2 ton. The push rods fit the same.

Thanks. I'll check that out. Might be the same for the shoe guide plates, too.

AtomicDog 12-20-2017 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21 (Post 3371207)
Ok I understand now. As HeyYou said check the help section. The parking brake assembly can be bought. I know advance calls it "Rear Secondary Brake Assembly"

Thanks. I'll check with Advance for that part, as they have plenty of those in this area.

Moparite 12-20-2017 06:43 AM

Did you try sourcing anything direct from dana? Not sure if they made the brake parts or did chrysler. ???

MoparFanatic21 12-20-2017 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by AtomicDog (Post 3371251)
Thanks. I'll check with Advance for that part, as they have plenty of those in this area.

You are welcome the few pages I have of a parts book lists the brake guides and push rods as the same part # as a 1500. So they will fit.

AtomicDog 12-20-2017 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21 (Post 3371207)

I just searched Advance Auto's web site and did not find any parts when searching for "Rear Secondary Brake Assembly". I also searched for parking brake parts and nothing else came up other than parking brake cables and electrical connectors. Do you happen to have any listing at all for the parking brake strut and lever at Advance Auto?

MoparFanatic21 12-20-2017 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by AtomicDog (Post 3371313)
I just searched Advance Auto's web site and did not find any parts when searching for "Rear Secondary Brake Assembly". I also searched for parking brake parts and nothing else came up other than parking brake cables and electrical connectors. Do you happen to have any listing at all for the parking brake strut and lever at Advance Auto?

Give me until 4:30 est that's when I get off work and I'll stop at my local advance I know the manager and he'll find it. I bought the same thing about 2 months ago as my rear wheel fell off while driving.

MoparFanatic21 12-20-2017 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by AtomicDog (Post 3371313)

Just so we are clear this is what you are talking about correct? https://www.4wheelparts.com/Brakes-Steering/Dorman-Parking-Brake-Equalizing-Bar-21158.aspx?t_c=65&t_s=540&t_pt=7979&t_pn=DOR21158& utm_source=google%2cgoogle&utm_medium=cpc%2ccpc&ut m_campaign=shopping&emlprox=out&ppcfon=1&gp=1&scid =scplpDOR21158&sc_intid=DOR21158&gclid=CjwKCAiAsej RBRB3EiwAZft7sJeQyPCd6sOc18q0QwktXz-9vb5zHtT9JsE89OB_Z2OuYrhyIF2M-RoCOKkQAvD_BwE

AtomicDog 12-20-2017 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21 (Post 3371321)
Just so we are clear this is what you are talking about correct? https://www.4wheelparts.com/Brakes-S...RoCOKkQAvD_BwE

Yes, I need that part and also the accompanying parking brake lever. See this link and the part tied to #14 in the diagram. Thanks again for your help!

https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/part...akes-rear.html

MoparFanatic21 12-20-2017 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by AtomicDog (Post 3371345)
Yes, I need that part and also the accompanying parking brake lever. See this link and the part tied to #14 in the diagram. Thanks again for your help!

https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/part...akes-rear.html

Advance doesn't have the adjusters, the strut I linked is in the help section at my local advance.

AtomicDog 12-20-2017 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21 (Post 3371321)
Just so we are clear this is what you are talking about correct? https://www.4wheelparts.com/Brakes-S...RoCOKkQAvD_BwE

Thanks, but this bar isn't listed to fit the 13" x 2.5" brake system on this rear. Looks like it fits smaller diameter brake systems.

AtomicDog 12-20-2017 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21 (Post 3371352)
Advance doesn't have the adjusters, the strut I linked is in the help section at my local advance.

Thanks for double-checking. This is what I've been finding.

MoparFanatic21 12-20-2017 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by AtomicDog (Post 3371364)
Thanks for double-checking. This is what I've been finding.

You can buy the adjusters online

AtomicDog 12-20-2017 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21 (Post 3371366)
You can buy the adjusters online

Yes, I'm aware that the adjusters are available - I can get those in the hardware kit at most places. It's the parking brake lever and strut that I still need for these 13" x 2.5" brakes..

MoparFanatic21 12-21-2017 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by AtomicDog (Post 3371367)
Yes, I'm aware that the adjusters are available - I can get those in the hardware kit at most places. It's the parking brake lever and strut that I still need for these 13" x 2.5" brakes..

The strut I linked was just a generic strut. Advance has the one you are looking for in their help section (at least at my store)

AtomicDog 12-21-2017 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21 (Post 3371463)
The strut I linked was just a generic strut. Advance has the one you are looking for in their help section (at least at my store)

Do you happen to have a part number for it? I checked the Dorman catalog and they had no listing for it. It needs to work with 13" x 2.5" brakes.

MoparFanatic21 12-22-2017 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by AtomicDog (Post 3371468)
Do you happen to have a part number for it? I checked the Dorman catalog and they had no listing for it. It needs to work with 13" x 2.5" brakes.

Im at work again, well in Cali on a family emergency I call it work. But I can stop by an see if I can get the part number. My buddy who used to live next to me now works at an advance out here

AtomicDog 01-06-2018 07:19 PM

I stopped by a local Advance Auto parts store today and they had no listing for the parking brake lever or strut.

I did find a master/professional hardware kit (part number H2323) at O'Rielly's Auto Parts which has almost everything except for the parking brake levers and struts (Dodge part #4761585)

MoparFanatic21 01-07-2018 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by AtomicDog (Post 3373556)
I stopped by a local Advance Auto parts store today and they had no listing for the parking brake lever or strut.

I did find a master/professional hardware kit (part number H2323) at O'Rielly's Auto Parts which has almost everything except for the parking brake levers and struts (Dodge part #4761585)

Sorry couldn't find the thread until now... Ask them if the inventory from store to store is the same because they have them on the shelf here. The guy at the counter and said the "floor" items is different from store to store

AtomicDog 01-07-2018 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21 (Post 3373586)
Sorry couldn't find the thread until now... Ask them if the inventory from store to store is the same because they have them on the shelf here. The guy at the counter and said the "floor" items is different from store to store

What's the part number(s) of what you see on the shelf there and who is the manufacturer?? Again, I need the parking brake lever and the strut for the 13" drum brake system. If I have that information, I can certainly take it from there, as they have no listing for these items in their computer system.

MoparFanatic21 01-07-2018 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by AtomicDog (Post 3373613)
What's the part number(s) of what you see on the shelf there and who is the manufacturer?? Again, I need the parking brake lever and the strut for the 13" drum brake system. If I have that information, I can certainly take it from there, as they have no listing for these items in their computer system.

I'll stop in an get a picture, it won't be listed in their system as it's a help park. The strut can be bought at least at this advance here in Cali the lever is not about to be bought in store probably have to buy online. It won't be until tomorrow sometime as I'm at work ATM on my first break if a 15hr shift.

AtomicDog 01-07-2018 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21 (Post 3373679)
I'll stop in an get a picture, it won't be listed in their system as it's a help park. The strut can be bought at least at this advance here in Cali the lever is not about to be bought in store probably have to buy online. It won't be until tomorrow sometime as I'm at work ATM on my first break if a 15hr shift.

Thanks. A part number off the package would be perfect. A photo would be good if it shows the part number, as I can find the part once I have the part number. The Dorman/Help parts catalogs I've checked so far don't show a listing for a parking brake strut that fits the 13" drums. Hopefully, they recently started making it. From what I can tell, the parking brake lever is no longer available from Chrysler.

AtomicDog 01-09-2018 08:36 AM

Any update on this part number or photo with a part number?

MoparFanatic21 01-09-2018 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by AtomicDog (Post 3373917)

No sir haven't been able to stop in. Really busy. Let me see if I can find one online or do you want to buy it in store?

AtomicDog 01-09-2018 10:33 PM

Either way. Just trying to find an aftermarket part number and manufacturer (highly preferred) or more definitive information for the parking brake lever and the parking brake strut that works with the 13" rear drum brake system used on Dana 70 axles in '94 thru '99.

AtomicDog 01-10-2018 04:22 PM

HeyYou 01-10-2018 10:00 PM

Have you considered just sayin' 'screw it', and going with a rear disc brake kit? Might be easier.... (but, certainly not cheaper......)

AtomicDog 01-10-2018 10:48 PM

Not really, as I'm trying to keep costs down on this repair. The rear is not in a truck and as long as I get this fixed by the spring, I'm fine with the current pace. I find it interesting that it appears that no one is remaking the parking brake lever and strut for the 13" drum brake setup on this axle.

Besides, MoparFanatic21 feels he has laid eyes on the strut, so I'd like to hear what the part number is that he is looking at, as I can't find it in the aftermarket to-date.

MoparFanatic21 01-11-2018 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by AtomicDog (Post 3374225)
Not really, as I'm trying to keep costs down on this repair. The rear is not in a truck and as long as I get this fixed by the spring, I'm fine with the current pace. I find it interesting that it appears that no one is remaking the parking brake lever and strut for the 13" drum brake setup on this axle.

Besides, MoparFanatic21 feels he has laid eyes on the strut, so I'd like to hear what the part number is that he is looking at, as I can't find it in the aftermarket to-date.

I know I did as I bought one for a buddy's truck I was working on. He lost a wheel doing 75 and everything in the rear drum (including the drum) was gone.

AtomicDog 01-11-2018 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21 (Post 3374240)
I know I did as I bought one for a buddy's truck I was working on. He lost a wheel doing 75 and everything in the rear drum (including the drum) was gone.

Was your buddy's truck a '94-'99 Ram 2500 with a Dana 70 rear axle with 13" drum brakes? Have you been able to take a look at the one you saw in the Advance store and get the part number off of it?

MoparFanatic21 01-11-2018 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by AtomicDog (Post 3374269)
Was your buddy's truck a '94-'99 Ram 2500 with a Dana 70 rear axle with 13" drum brakes? Have you been able to take a look at the one you saw in the Advance store and get the part number off of it?

Yes it was, because I remember thinking to myself drums suck *ss when replacing everything and I didn't have one of the pin retainers turned and everything shot out. I did go there and the spot was empty and only had 3 numbers. Couldn't get a party number. I went to an off road shop here in Cali and sled them if they had a source for your part. He laughed and said absolutely, and is suppose to call me sometime this week with the website to buy it

AtomicDog 01-11-2018 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21 (Post 3374420)
Yes it was, because I remember thinking to myself drums suck *ss when replacing everything and I didn't have one of the pin retainers turned and everything shot out. I did go there and the spot was empty and only had 3 numbers. Couldn't get a party number. I went to an off road shop here in Cali and sled them if they had a source for your part. He laughed and said absolutely, and is suppose to call me sometime this week with the website to buy it

Thanks. Looking forward to what you might find. So far, looks like its only available used from a salvage yard from what I can find.