2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

LED lights as turn signal and parking light

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 10:43 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts
Default LED lights as turn signal and parking light

Ok guys I need some help. While it here in Cali for a family emergency I found a set of Spec D headlights for my ram here is what they look like:
http://www.specdtuning.com/2lhp-ram94b-tm.html

Now if you see on the upper part of the headlight there are 3 LEDs plus a LED "bar." I want them to flash with the turn signals but also be on when I'm not using my turn signal. How would I go about this? A relay? It has two wires positive and ground. I thought tapping into the parking light wire and tapping into the turn signal wire with a resistor so it only feeds it and the parking light current won't backed into the turn signal circuit. Any suggestions?

Old 12-31-2017, 01:19 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 364 Likes on 342 Posts

I have seen numerous posts about these headlights. And from what i hear they don't tell you squat about the wiring. Really need more info about them. If you tie them into the turn signals replace your blinker with a HD relay style one. Then you don't have to worry about adding resistors.

Old 12-31-2017, 03:17 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by Moparite
I have seen numerous posts about these headlights. And from what i hear they don't tell you squat about the wiring. Really need more info about them. If you tie them into the turn signals replace your blinker with a HD relay style one. Then you don't have to worry about adding resistors.
Well basically I'm taking a 2 wire light and making it 3. I figured out how I'm going to do it. Since you want your park lights to be slightly dimmer then your turn signals here is my setup I'm going to do. On the park light wire (this is separate and all these wires will tap into factory harness) it will go resistor (make it dim) diode (to stop back feeding) and then tap into positive on LED light. Turn signal wire will be setup like this diode then also tap into positive LED wire

Old 12-31-2017, 05:21 PM
frankie_b_jr
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Well basically I'm taking a 2 wire light and making it 3. I figured out how I'm going to do it. Since you want your park lights to be slightly dimmer then your turn signals here is my setup I'm going to do. On the park light wire (this is separate and all these wires will tap into factory harness) it will go resistor (make it dim) diode (to stop back feeding) and then tap into positive on LED light. Turn signal wire will be setup like this diode then also tap into positive LED wire
I've noticed on newer cars with LED lighting that the turn signal just shuts the light off instead of making them brighter... Basically a reverse flash if that makes sense.
I'm not sure how to make something like that happen, but it could be another option for you.

Old 12-31-2017, 06:52 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by frankie_b_jr
I've noticed on newer cars with LED lighting that the turn signal just shuts the light off instead of making them brighter... Basically a reverse flash if that makes sense.
I'm not sure how to make something like that happen, but it could be another option for you.
That only works (at least to my knowledge) if it is dual color (as in white park light yellow turn signal)

Old 01-01-2018, 11:28 AM
frankie_b_jr
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

You're probably right. Cruising YouTube I can't find a video of what I was picturing. Maybe I'll spot it again next time I'm out trucking so I at least know what model car it was.

Old 01-01-2018, 09:01 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by frankie_b_jr
You're probably right. Cruising YouTube I can't find a video of what I was picturing. Maybe I'll spot it again next time I'm out trucking so I at least know what model car it was.
Lexus has then along with brand new Hyundais.

Quick Reply: LED lights as turn signal and parking light