Possible bad light switch?? 2000 ram 1500 sport. - DodgeForum.com

Go Back  DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 2nd Gen Ram Tech
Reload this Page > Possible bad light switch?? 2000 ram 1500 sport.
Notices
2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Possible bad light switch?? 2000 ram 1500 sport.

Old 01-17-2018, 05:57 PM
FLUFFYTH3SL4Y3R
Default Possible bad light switch?? 2000 ram 1500 sport.

Hey guys,
So really need some insight real quick before i go buying needless parts here. So I bought this truck from a guy i knew who had originally put HIDís for the low beams. Welp, long story short, a shady mech snipped them out (told me the lights were shorted, even though it was just blown bulbs) so i had to put the old lights back in. Since then, when i turn my low beams on, my low beams and high beams on the left side are on and my high beam on the right are on. Also my cabs fuse for the dash and switches keeps blowing the # 5 fuse and my illumination for the damn instrument cluster wonít come on, and it keeps blowing the 5 A fuses. Im thinking bad light switch??? What about yall?

Old 01-17-2018, 07:25 PM
MoparFanatic21
Captain

Originally Posted by FLUFFYTH3SL4Y3R View Post
Hey guys,
So really need some insight real quick before i go buying needless parts here. So I bought this truck from a guy i knew who had originally put HIDís for the low beams. Welp, long story short, a shady mech snipped them out (told me the lights were shorted, even though it was just blown bulbs) so i had to put the old lights back in. Since then, when i turn my low beams on, my low beams and high beams on the left side are on and my high beam on the right are on. Also my cabs fuse for the dash and switches keeps blowing the # 5 fuse and my illumination for the damn instrument cluster wonít come on, and it keeps blowing the 5 A fuses. Im thinking bad light switch??? What about yall?
The headlight switch is a common fail point. As Dodge didn't use relays in the headlight circuit for the switch, so the switch has the full current running through it. What most people do (I did it) is add 2 relays to each headlight.

Old 01-18-2018, 01:22 AM
FLUFFYTH3SL4Y3R

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21 View Post
The headlight switch is a common fail point. As Dodge didn't use relays in the headlight circuit for the switch, so the switch has the full current running through it. What most people do (I did it) is add 2 relays to each headlight.
So its deff the switch then ? I was thinking so... just didnt wanna buy the wrong damn part. I had noticed at one point it was suuuuuper hot, smelled burning plastic but that was two weeks ago, i immediately stepped out and shut the truck off, removing the battery lines and checking **** but never saw smoke... oh well. At least its nothing major.

Old 01-18-2018, 03:55 PM
MoparFanatic21
Captain

Originally Posted by FLUFFYTH3SL4Y3R View Post
So its deff the switch then ? I was thinking so... just didnt wanna buy the wrong damn part. I had noticed at one point it was suuuuuper hot, smelled burning plastic but that was two weeks ago, i immediately stepped out and shut the truck off, removing the battery lines and checking **** but never saw smoke... oh well. At least its nothing major.
That would be my first thing to change and you can get them at a junkyard.