2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

V10+Dual Cats+Smog Pump

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 05:23 PM
intekular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V10+Dual Cats+Smog Pump

Hi All,

I have a 1999 Dodge v-10 5sp 4x4. This engine has the dual cats and smog pump on it. The cats are junk and need to be replaced but that is a significant cost.

From two separate muffler shops I have as follows-

1)Remove both cats and smog pump and put a single 3" high flow cat and muffler etc out.

2)Cannot remove smog pump because it pumps air into the cats to get them hotter and must replace cats with two new duals with the inlet for the smog pump.

My question is can I remove the smog pump and go with a single high flow cat?

Old 12-06-2005, 06:00 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker
Default RE: V10+Dual Cats+Smog Pump

Technically you can't remove the smog pump, unless you find a way to replace it with an idler pulley. You can do what I did and disassemble the smog pump and knock out the guts (the fins), so all it does is spin freely...and not push air anywhere.

You don't really don't need to replace the cats either. Mine had dual cats, but they were removed and replaced with straight pipes before I even bought the truck. Mine is a 94 though. If your truck has a post cat oxygen sensor, you will have to install some sort of converter. A high flow one might not be good enough either as it may set off the SES light.

Old 12-06-2005, 06:16 PM
V10
Professional
Default RE: V10+Dual Cats+Smog Pump

The Cali V10 had one big cat, but it must be more restrictive than the twin cats based on the lower HP and torque ratings.

Quick Reply: V10+Dual Cats+Smog Pump