2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Superchips

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 08:45 PM
Arthur Brookey
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Superchips

Question...I am thinking about buying the Superchips #3715. Superchips has said, if it's used, and not returned to the factory settings, I can't use it, and they no longer can return it to factory settings..I don't know if it has been used/if so if it was returned to factory settings. So, if I buy this thing, and it's not set back to stock settings, is there any way around this/any way to use it? Anyone? Thanks

Old 11-14-2018, 09:42 PM
aresf11
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The problem isn't with it being "used" per se; it's with it being VIN locked, and no, I don't think there is a way around it. It's a security feature they built in to keep one guy from using his tuner to tune all his buddies' trucks.

As soon as you boot up the handheld, watch for the message "VIN locked". As long as the previous guy has used it to restore his truck back to factory settings and you don't get that message, you're good to use the unit to tune your truck.

FWIW, I have the 3715 and am happy with it. I use the 87 octane performance tune and I think it generally woke up the truck a bit. I also used it to correct my speedometer for my slightly up-sized tires. It will also read and clear DTCs. It's a nice little unit, but don't expect it to turn your truck into a drag machine.

Old 11-18-2018, 12:41 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As said above, there isn't a way around it if it's VIN locked. If the seller can't show you that it's not VIN locked, I'd not buy it. It's basically a paperweight.

That said, I'd save my money anyway and get an SCT with a tune from Flying Ryan or Marty Fletcher. The Superchips isn't going to even be worth the money imo.

Quick Reply: Superchips