2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'04 Dakota to '01 Ram Gauge Swap??

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 07:03 AM
Bumblet00th
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question '04 Dakota to '01 Ram Gauge Swap??

I was curious if there's a way to swap a cluster out of say a 2003-2004 Dodge Dakota and put it into my 2001 Dodge Ram?
I saw a video online with someone showing off their truck that had a swapped cluster from a Dakota but they never specified how they did it. I bought one off ebay hoping it'd be plug and play but it give me a NO BUS error. I assumed there's a way to get it to work since they're the same shape, size, and even is able to plug into my dash. Is the cluster supposed to be flashed and programmed with the mileage and VIN programmed into it to be compatible or would I have to mess with a ton of wires to get the newer cluster to work? I'm wanting to do this to "modernize" the truck while still keep it retro looking. My truck's not auto btw this is just to better show what I'm wanting to do

Old Standard Ram Cluster

Cluster from a 2003-2004 Dodge Dakota

Last edited by Bumblet00th; 02-25-2019 at 07:07 AM. Reason: didn't finish typing
Old 02-25-2019, 01:16 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Bumblet00th
I was curious if there's a way to swap a cluster out of say a 2003-2004 Dodge Dakota and put it into my 2001 Dodge Ram?
I saw a video online with someone showing off their truck that had a swapped cluster from a Dakota but they never specified how they did it. I bought one off ebay hoping it'd be plug and play but it give me a NO BUS error. I assumed there's a way to get it to work since they're the same shape, size, and even is able to plug into my dash. Is the cluster supposed to be flashed and programmed with the mileage and VIN programmed into it to be compatible or would I have to mess with a ton of wires to get the newer cluster to work? I'm wanting to do this to "modernize" the truck while still keep it retro looking. My truck's not auto btw this is just to better show what I'm wanting to do

Old Standard Ram Cluster

Cluster from a 2003-2004 Dodge Dakota
He had that cluster because he swapped in a Hemi. Which is the same computer system as the Dakota gauge cluster. That cluster will never work in a stock Ram as it's a completely different computer system

Quick Reply: '04 Dakota to '01 Ram Gauge Swap??