2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front hub conversation on 1500

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 02:32 PM
u2slow
Professional
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

IMHO, 70's Ford 1/2-ton parts can be used to 'freespin' the 1500 trucks very similarly to how the 2500/3500's can be done with junkyard F250/350 parts.

If you don't like locking hubs, run slugs... like many 80's Dodges and Wagoneers did.

Old 04-08-2019, 07:09 PM
G. O. Mann
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My experience with the cable lock system was very favorable. For "farm" type use, not hard core off-roading, the ability to engage the front axle with the cable lock, and then shift in and out of 4wd using the transfer case lever is very useful. Not only do you have the use of 2wd-low range ( front axle unlocked, transfer case in 4wd-low) for such things as backing a trailer or working in tight quarters, but you can also lock the front axle before a cold spell that would make it difficult for the original vacuum to work. On one truck (2500 gas) I removed the vacuum switch that engaged the front axle coupling from the transfer case and relocated it to the cab where I made a bracket to depress or release the switch plunger. That arrangement made it so that I could do the same as the cable lock, using the original vacuum system. It probably was not as heavy duty as the cable lock system, but delivered the same advantages: 2wd-low and reliable cold weather operation by shifting the front axle "in" before the cold weather, and then just leaving it alone. Just thought I'd throw in an option for those whose needs aren't quite as extreme, and whose budget may be somewhat more limited.

Last edited by G. O. Mann; 04-09-2019 at 11:17 AM.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:14 AM
Lawintexas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

G.O . Mann,

That’s a real cool idea! You should post pics of the setup. I’m in the desert a lot inthe Permian basin, New Mexico, and South Texas. The Posilock is great for people who run a open differential. I finnaly Got the guys at Posilock to somewhat agree that running a LSD or locker setup creates to much stress on the cable system. When my old motor went out at 287k I went back with a much more powerful 5.9 and I have a Martin Saine tranny. I think I was putting to much torque on the cable to hold the coupler in place.I finished The installation of the hub conversion and CAD delete on Monday and from what i see Right now is 2 major improvements.
1st is the acceleration of the truck. This is a vast improvement over the old system. Why? Well I’m not turning the front drivetrain. The driver side had always turned the carrier and front driveshaft in 2wd. Now it’s not turning! Think of all of the bearings, seals and wear that is saved!
2nd major difference is the front end feels lighter and and steering is improved.
As far as gas mileage I’ll know more as i leave For the oil patch on Thursday. It’s a 600 mile drive so I’ll know for sure if there is improvement. I’m not confident to see a major increase. I did Go back and checked what my Mpg was on my last trip back in February and i got 10.2 mpg.
In Texas we do have a stretch on interstate 20 where the speed limit is 85 and i will Go 95+ on this stretch of road. Most of the speed limit is 70 or 75 so that’s why the poor fuel economy. I dont Have a lift or run big tires. I will Post a update on how everything is going later this week but as for now I’m very impressed with the outcome.

Old 04-09-2019, 11:19 AM
G. O. Mann
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't yet have the capability of posting pictures, but there's not really much to see. It basically involves moving the vacuum line assembly from the transfer case to somewhere in the cab, and installing the vacuum valve that was in the transfer case in the end of the newly relocated vacuum harness. I stuck the valve and the little bracket I cobbled up to depress the plunger of the valve when I want to lock the front axle (which originally happened when the transfer case shift rail pushed the plunger in) in the cupholder at the base of the shift lever (mine is a 5 speed.) If you wanted to get fancy, you could use a little ball valve or something and leave the original valve in place on the transfer case to plug the hole. A few feet of vacuum hose and/or steel tubing and some ingenuity is really all you need. For your type of use, what you've done seems like a really good solution. Up here, we go slower and for shorter distances, so there wouldn't be so much gained for us either in wear or fuel economy.

Old 04-13-2019, 09:48 AM
Lawintexas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m currently in the oil patch and I’m happy to report that everything has been working perfectly! My gas mileage has improved quiet considerably in my opinion. I averaged 12.7 mpg which is a 2+ mpg improvement. I’ve put on 170 miles in 4wd since I’ve been up here. And i got the opportunity to pull out a Toyota Tundra and have him the good ole rooster pull lol. Several trucks park in the safe zone and get rides and they are impressed on how my truck navigates through the terrain. Right now the weather is terrible and it’s raining, hailing, and strong winds. We’re expecting a mixture of sleet and snow today so it will be interesting to see how many vehicles get stuck. It’s also amazing to me on how many people that don’t know how to drive in 4wd. I probably need to open a little shop and start converting some of these trucks as I’m sure i can Stay busy on my down time!

Quick Reply: Front hub conversation on 1500