2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

01 5.2 1500 parasitic draw

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 08:47 PM
Ceejaydee88
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 5.2 1500 parasitic draw

I have a ram 1500 2001 5.2L slt with a parasitic draw. Battery dies overnight. Its a fresh battery in the truck. Nothing aftermarket installed. Im getting a huge draw on the battery when everything is off. Something above 500 ma. If i pull fuse 1,2,3 in the engine bay fuse box it drops to 0 ma. Both 1 and 2 have to deal with the battery. A 50a fuse(#1) 20a fuse(#2) and another 20a fuse(#3). Number 3 fuse says hazard. I followed the tests to the fuse box in the cab and got small amp drops off the iod fuse and the #13 fuse(power locks). I pulled off door panels and headliner to trace the wires to all the bulbs in the cab and found that the only amp drop i would get was when i disconnected the radio. I then traced the door lock fuse to the timing module under the dash next to the ash tray. I disconnected it but im not sure what it has to do with anything. Only thing i could think is its for a remote unlock fob. But i dont have one for the truck. However im still concerned that these 2 issues i found in the cab would have nothing to do with the fuse test i did under the hood.

Could i be getting a huge drop because of my alternator? Maybe its a short inside it causing it to draw back from the battery?
This box under the dash (timing module), it this just for the keyfob and can be okay without it?

Im stuck in a rut with this draw on the battery and at a loss as what to do next. I see why many shops do not even offer services related to this or charge a fortune to diagnose. Any info would be greatly appreciated

Old 04-06-2019, 09:48 PM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 103 Likes on 98 Posts

500mA is not a huge draw and should not kill a battery overnight. Even a modest battery has something like 70Ah which means it would take 140 hrs at 500mA to drain it to the point where the voltage gets too low. 500mA is high though, typically older vehicles are sub 100mA for IOD. You've been doing the right thing with pulling fuses etc. just be diligent. Wait and see if disconnecting the timing module made a difference. It is possible that a defective alternator drains the battery, but that's easy to verify just measure if there is any current going from the fat red wire to the stud on the alternator. Engine off of course and be careful not touch anything with red cable as it carries battery power.

Quick Reply: 01 5.2 1500 parasitic draw