2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Strange electrical issues -- I think

Old 07-07-2019, 11:36 AM
niceoldram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange electrical issues -- I think

Hi All, I am not new to these forums but have not been here for a while and my old login seems to have been deleted. Anyway, 1995, RAM1500, 5.9, auto, 2WD, extended cab.

The cruise stopped working, the horns will not toot, the O/D light is on all the time and does not change the O/D state if the button is pressed. Checking the wiring diagram, the horn and the cruise seem to be on the same fuse, but the fuse and horn-relay are OK.

We live out in the boonies and Native rats chewing wires is a real thing. But, I have checked everything I can and no chewed wires or hoses, so this time, I suspect the rats are blameless. But no idea where to start looking next.

Any thoughts and suggestions?

Thanks

Old 07-07-2019, 05:11 PM
Torxhead
Veteran
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The issue might be in the steering column, like from a frayed wire. Good thing you have a wiring diagram to check for a short circut.

Old 07-08-2019, 06:28 PM
Viperdave
Professional
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey niceoldram, just responded to your other post, here’s my 2 cents,

most problems with cruse with a horn problem are the “clock spring” wireing behind the air bag in the steering wheel, yes those two things can have problems and NOT turn the airbag light on. If the airbag light is on also then definitely the clock spring is the problem

as for OD light on button, let’s fix one thing at a time

Dissconnect the battery and remove the airbag and steering wheel and you will see a round plastic piece, that’s the clock spring. Remove the upper and lower column shrouds and you can see how it’s attached and remove it

a new clock spring shouldn’t cost that much but make sure you get one with cruse option

i will repeat one major safety issue. DISCONNECT THE BATTERY FIRST!!!

and one more point..........the air bag uses the same stuff that put the space shuttle into orbit

solid rocket fuel!!

Just way less so if you are any way uncomfortable handling something that has explosives in it then check with a local shop, they shouldn’t charge you an arm and a leg to replace a clock spring I can do it today in less then 15 minutes but I have all the tools and have done it MANY times.

viperdave

Last edited by Viperdave; 07-08-2019 at 06:42 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Strange electrical issues -- I think