2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Had the ole whistling intake, everything I read said PLENUM.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2019, 11:22 PM
MJ Scott
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had the ole whistling intake, everything I read said PLENUM.

The intake started making a loud sucking noise one day, followed by loss of power, poor gas mileage, etc. One thing I read said clogged cat, so I tried that with no change. Then I read about the plenum issues for about a month before i finally broke it down and checked the plenum. The attached pictures are what I saw.

The plenum’s gasket doesn’t look like it’s got a visible failure, other than the presence of the oil on the plate. The front edge intake gasket and the back edge intake gasket were both failing, the front one was probably completely failed already, just saturated with oil and crumpled on contact with my fingers. And there’s also a gap (3rd picture) between the edge of the intake ports and the body of the intake ports. What do y’all think? Just try the plenum repair and go from there?

Old 07-30-2019, 06:26 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts
Old 07-30-2019, 06:37 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by MJ Scott
What do y’all think? Just try the plenum repair and go from there?
Shorten the bolts (factory screwed up the design), apply thread locker, reassemble with a good quality gasket, and torque to spec. No real need to spend a pile of $, save it for something that is more entertaining.

Old 08-04-2019, 10:14 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Once you're this far I recommend changing the timing chain and gears. Yes, I'd fix the plenum gasket and see what happens. Get a new Mopar PCV valve and check for broken vacuum lines also. Remove the IAC valve and clean the passage underneath it. You can clean or replace the IAC valve. Mopar or Standard Motor Products not BWD or any of the junk from the big parts chains.

Last edited by 2bit; 08-04-2019 at 10:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Had the ole whistling intake, everything I read said PLENUM.