2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Location of airbag control module?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2019, 10:25 AM
Quiksilver1j
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Location of airbag control module?

I have 1996 ram 2500 with the automatic transmission . When reinstalling the dash I found 1 loose harness with 2 plugs for which had no place to plug into. I looked in my factory service manual at the picture of the dash wiring harness and it looks like these 2 plugs should connect to the air bag control module. Unfortunately I can’t find it nor do I remember ever disconnecting these plugs from it.
I’ve only owned the truck for a few months so I have no clue what has been done to it in the last 20+ years. Seems like the module was removed and the airbag light disabled?

I’ve searched online, I found one thread that said the module should be mounted in the dash under the radio.. I see the ecm but no airbag control module.

After replacing my evaporator core my air bag light came on. I assume because the wiring harness isn’t connected to the module. I know the clock spring can also Cause this but my cruise and horn work so I’m guessing it’s the module or lack there of.

anyone snap a pic of your module mounting location? I can buy another on eBay but would like to know where to put it . fSM has no other info about location.

Old 08-18-2019, 10:59 AM
HeikIlm
Captain
Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts

This is from '95, but I believe it's the same location on your '96, behind that square plastic cover:

Old 08-18-2019, 12:22 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by HeikIlm
This is from '95, but I believe it's the same location on your '96, behind that square plastic cover:

You are correct!

Old 08-18-2019, 09:14 PM
Quiksilver1j
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you very much; I do not have anything mounted there. I do not have a control module. I will need to find both control module and that cover. is there anything special under the plastic cover ? or just the module?

Originally Posted by HeikIlm

Old 08-19-2019, 03:47 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Quiksilver1j
Thank you very much; I do not have anything mounted there. I do not have a control module. I will need to find both control module and that cover. is there anything special under the plastic cover ? or just the module?
A bracket and the module that's it

Quick Reply: Location of airbag control module?