2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

radio wiring ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2019, 08:12 AM
mrt2you
Rookie
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default radio wiring ?

i just bought a beater 2000 ram standard cab 4X4.
the truck had a aftermarket radio that barely worked when i bought it. i would assume the truck was originally equipped with a infinity radio, the speakers have amps built into them.
i took the stock radio. has joystick fader control, from my 99 dakota and installed it. both of the plugs matched up and plugged in.
now the rear speakers somewhat work and the door speakers barely work with no bass.
i took off the door panel and there are a LOT of wires going to the speaker.
how can i fix this with the least amount of work possible? i really don't want to run bypass the oem wiring with new speaker wire to the speakers to get them to work.
is there a way to add power to the amps and make them work?
or how can i use the oem wiring, jump it them to bypass the amps and just get new door speakers without built in amps to work. i don't remember exactly how many wires were there but it was something like 8 wires going to the speakers.
a replacement infinity radio would probably be the easiest repair. i checked ebay and there are no infinity stereos listed. if there were i would assume the price wouldn't be as cheap as new 6X9 speakers.

Old 09-29-2019, 08:30 AM
mrt2you
Rookie

update i expanded my ebay search and found a infinity stereo item # 233336783351
it looks really similar to the one i have now, it does have infinity label on the front of it, hopefully it will power up the amps in the door speakers. if it doesn't i will have a oem radio for sale.

Old 09-29-2019, 09:12 AM
HeikIlm
Captain
Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

When I updated my factory unit to an aftermarket unit decade ago, I had trouble getting the amped speakers to work. Turned out that they needed wake-up signal from the headunit. I used power antenna wire, but can't recall if I had to cut the original wake-up wire after the factory connector, or did the adapter set had a wake-up wire in it.
Start by checking your wiring that nothin is cut or missing, refer to FSM section 8W for radio wiring.

Old 09-30-2019, 07:40 AM
mrt2you
Rookie

there are no cut wires in the harness, i hope. on first inspection the wires from the harness plugs look unaltered, the ground wire that attaches to the rear of the radio chassis has the plug end removed though.. the person installing the aftermarket radio used harness adapters to wire it up so they didn't have to cut any wires.
i hope the proper radio will energize the speaker amps it was only $60 so if it doesn't the wallet won't get hurt to bad .

as far as a service manual i have one on cd ordered, should have it by mid week.

thanks for the reply.

Quick Reply: radio wiring ?