2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

96 dodge ram 1500 5.9 crank no start

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2019, 11:11 AM
Dirtymaxx66
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 dodge ram 1500 5.9 crank no start

Experienced mechanic with a junkyard revival. I came across alot of posts, questions. Many answers but none correct.

So what's been done. It came to the junkyard with crank no start. When koeo it would click the asd relay and the fuel system relay on off on off, dash lights were flashing with the relays as well

I pulled the fuel system relay, hard wired to the fuel pump to a switch. She fired up and ran. But if I pressed the brakes, it'd stall. If I put it in reverse, it would also stall. Same with turn signals and lights. Disconnected all that so I could drive it home

After I got it home I cleaned all grounds. Ran second jumper wires for all grounds just to ensure. I was playing with my multimeter and test light. Found power at all contacts of my rear lights, every one turn signal, reverse lights, license plate lights. All had power. Upon inspection I found 2 harnesses that connected inside the driverside fender, behind the tire that ran all the way to the back lights. And the wires were all corroded and melted together.

I put a good used harness off a truck at a junkyard and got lights back. I reconnected my fuel pump how I should. I turn the key and turn signals are flashing! I'm so excited at this point and I turn key and cranks but no start again. I reversed everything I did and cranks but no start.

Seen that when I was cranking I had no movement of my tac. No spark and no fuel. But fuel pump primes, asd relay and fuel system relay turn on for about 1.5 seconds then cycle off. With research I found this was a normal condition as its not sensing cranking. I thought crank sensor and i put a known good used one in it from the same year, same motor, same style of truck. And still no start.

From what I understand cmp runs fuel injection timing and the ckp runs spark. But if it detects neither of these sensors asd relay stays off

Im guessing the major short did one of these things, damaged my pcm, or cmp went out.

Hoping this post may help me solve my issue, or quite possibly help someone else out.

Old 10-19-2019, 11:58 AM
true blue
Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

If the distributor has been moved, then the fuel sync could be so far off that the PU jiss won't start. Make sure that dist is at least in close to alignment. Fuel sync can be a big problem in these beasts.

Old 10-19-2019, 12:42 PM
Dirtymaxx66

Originally Posted by true blue
If the distributor has been moved, then the fuel sync could be so far off that the PU jiss won't start. Make sure that dist is at least in close to alignment. Fuel sync can be a big problem in these beasts.
Distributor was completely untouched, and was running prior to me fixing the shorted rear harness.

And in a update, I believe I found another short. At pcm crank sensor signal is always at 5v

Last edited by Dirtymaxx66; 10-19-2019 at 05:11 PM.
Old 10-20-2019, 07:37 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

Why don't you see what codes you are getting and go from there.

http://dodgeram.info/Engine-Gas/OBDI/pcm_fault_code.htm

Old 10-20-2019, 08:33 AM
Dirtymaxx66

Scantools tend to never help me with electrical and tend send me in the wrong direction.

Scan tool was telling me overdrive solenoid and basically every sensor to high of voltage.

So playing with a multi meter I found wires going to the oil pressure sensor rubbed together I pulled them apart and she started up

Last edited by Dirtymaxx66; 10-20-2019 at 08:45 AM.

Quick Reply: 96 dodge ram 1500 5.9 crank no start