DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech-64/)
-   -   99' Ram 1500 just wont keep running (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/426982-99-ram-1500-just-wont-keep-running.html)

Stephen Morrison 11-09-2019 03:55 PM

99' Ram 1500 just wont keep running

One day my truck just started rapidly clicking when I tried starting it. I got a jump and took it right home, I turned it off and right back on to see if that was the issue and it clicked again. I got the battery tested and its all good. I got the alternator tested and it was bad so I replaced it today, now the The truck will only turn over if I pump the gas while turning the key. Once I take my foot off the gas it just dies on me again. Rinse and repeat. I don't know what to do, I thought only 3 things go into starting a car which is the Alternator, Battery, and Starter. But all 3 of those are good so now im just upset and confused

MoparFanatic21 11-09-2019 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Stephen Morrison (Post 3459217)
One day my truck just started rapidly clicking when I tried starting it. I got a jump and took it right home, I turned it off and right back on to see if that was the issue and it clicked again. I got the battery tested and its all good. I got the alternator tested and it was bad so I replaced it today, now the The truck will only turn over if I pump the gas while turning the key. Once I take my foot off the gas it just dies on me again. Rinse and repeat. I don't know what to do, I thought only 3 things go into starting a car which is the Alternator, Battery, and Starter. But all 3 of those are good so now im just upset and confused

When the battery completely dies, you have to hold the gas for a few minutes until it gets a charge.

Stephen Morrison 11-09-2019 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21 (Post 3459223)
When the battery completely dies, you have to hold the gas for a few minutes until it gets a charge.

Well the thing is that my battery didn’t completely die the first time, or even yet what do you mean by “Hold the gas” I’m not that car savvy sorry

wca_tim 11-09-2019 05:43 PM

I would check the battery cables (both ends) for corrosion as well as the cables and wires going to the starter... both for corrosion and to be sure tight. Not unusual for those kinds of things to keep from turning over (full voltage doesn't get to starter, or full voltage from alternator doesn't get to the battery to charge it, etc...)

Stephen Morrison 11-09-2019 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by wca_tim (Post 3459231)
I would check the battery cables (both ends) for corrosion as well as the cables and wires going to the starter... both for corrosion and to be sure tight. Not unusual for those kinds of things to keep from turning over (full voltage doesn't get to starter, or full voltage from alternator doesn't get to the battery to charge it, etc...)

My positive battery terminal is pretty rusty/corroded and it can slide right up and off the battery... I’m assuming that’s not supposed to happen

MoparFanatic21 11-09-2019 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Stephen Morrison (Post 3459247)
My positive battery terminal is pretty rusty/corroded and it can slide right up and off the battery... I’m assuming that’s not supposed to happen

No it's not lol. When my battery died in my truck I had to hold the throttle at about 1500RPM for about 2 minutes before it would idle. I would clean the terminals and try it again

Stephen Morrison 11-09-2019 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21 (Post 3459249)
No it's not lol. When my battery died in my truck I had to hold the throttle at about 1500RPM for about 2 minutes before it would idle. I would clean the terminals and try it again

Any specific way to clean off rust?

wca_tim 11-09-2019 08:43 PM

I would get new terminals... and cut the old ones off. if there is a lot of corrosion down into the cable, I would probably get new cables... or at least the one that's bad. Check the other ends as well... depending on how they checked your alternator, the battery cable(s) may have been the real culprit all along. Don't worry about it or feel silly if that winds up being the case - most of us know to check this because we've overlooked it at some time in the past... :-)

MoparFanatic21 11-10-2019 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Stephen Morrison (Post 3459250)
Any specific way to clean off rust?

I agree with Tim if they are bad get new ones and possibly cables