2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

99' Ram 1500 just wont keep running

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2019, 03:55 PM
Stephen Morrison
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 99' Ram 1500 just wont keep running

One day my truck just started rapidly clicking when I tried starting it. I got a jump and took it right home, I turned it off and right back on to see if that was the issue and it clicked again. I got the battery tested and its all good. I got the alternator tested and it was bad so I replaced it today, now the The truck will only turn over if I pump the gas while turning the key. Once I take my foot off the gas it just dies on me again. Rinse and repeat. I don't know what to do, I thought only 3 things go into starting a car which is the Alternator, Battery, and Starter. But all 3 of those are good so now im just upset and confused

Old 11-09-2019, 04:44 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephen Morrison
One day my truck just started rapidly clicking when I tried starting it. I got a jump and took it right home, I turned it off and right back on to see if that was the issue and it clicked again. I got the battery tested and its all good. I got the alternator tested and it was bad so I replaced it today, now the The truck will only turn over if I pump the gas while turning the key. Once I take my foot off the gas it just dies on me again. Rinse and repeat. I don't know what to do, I thought only 3 things go into starting a car which is the Alternator, Battery, and Starter. But all 3 of those are good so now im just upset and confused
When the battery completely dies, you have to hold the gas for a few minutes until it gets a charge.

Old 11-09-2019, 04:59 PM
Stephen Morrison

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
When the battery completely dies, you have to hold the gas for a few minutes until it gets a charge.
Well the thing is that my battery didn’t completely die the first time, or even yet what do you mean by “Hold the gas” I’m not that car savvy sorry

Old 11-09-2019, 05:43 PM
wca_tim
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would check the battery cables (both ends) for corrosion as well as the cables and wires going to the starter... both for corrosion and to be sure tight. Not unusual for those kinds of things to keep from turning over (full voltage doesn't get to starter, or full voltage from alternator doesn't get to the battery to charge it, etc...)

Old 11-09-2019, 07:23 PM
Stephen Morrison

Originally Posted by wca_tim
I would check the battery cables (both ends) for corrosion as well as the cables and wires going to the starter... both for corrosion and to be sure tight. Not unusual for those kinds of things to keep from turning over (full voltage doesn't get to starter, or full voltage from alternator doesn't get to the battery to charge it, etc...)
My positive battery terminal is pretty rusty/corroded and it can slide right up and off the battery... I’m assuming that’s not supposed to happen

Old 11-09-2019, 07:27 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

My positive battery terminal is pretty rusty/corroded and it can slide right up and off the battery... I’m assuming that’s not supposed to happen
No it's not lol. When my battery died in my truck I had to hold the throttle at about 1500RPM for about 2 minutes before it would idle. I would clean the terminals and try it again

Old 11-09-2019, 07:28 PM
Stephen Morrison

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
No it's not lol. When my battery died in my truck I had to hold the throttle at about 1500RPM for about 2 minutes before it would idle. I would clean the terminals and try it again
Any specific way to clean off rust?

Old 11-09-2019, 08:43 PM
wca_tim
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would get new terminals... and cut the old ones off. if there is a lot of corrosion down into the cable, I would probably get new cables... or at least the one that's bad. Check the other ends as well... depending on how they checked your alternator, the battery cable(s) may have been the real culprit all along. Don't worry about it or feel silly if that winds up being the case - most of us know to check this because we've overlooked it at some time in the past... :-)

Old 11-10-2019, 05:07 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Any specific way to clean off rust?
I agree with Tim if they are bad get new ones and possibly cables

Quick Reply: 99' Ram 1500 just wont keep running