2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

01 2500 Rear sway bar links

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2020, 06:48 PM
Bailey Miller
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 2500 Rear sway bar links

Hey guys so I just got done swapping out the rear sway bar links on my truck, the old ones were embedded into the sway bar so had to cut them off. Had to cut off the top bolts as well because they were rotted, I put the new ones on now and the sway bar back on but for some reason there is some side to side movement but no up and down movement. The top bolts wont stay tightened so my main question is was I not suppose to get full thread bolts? I didnt know what kind bolts were on since had to cut them off, I got 3/4" 2.5 inch long bolts with 3/4" locking nuts. Does the top part need a washer for both the nut and bolt as well? The kit I got only had one for each link and on the driver side the leaf springs and the gas tank are in the way so it's a bit of a pain in the a** working with them being there. The bottom part of the link is fine, should I also get some washers for the bushing brackets as well? Never got the chance to put washers on them when I replaced the bushings a few months ago. I'm not sure if maybe the brackets up top are screwed, if maybe that's why the assembly is moving side to side or what.

Last edited by Bailey Miller; 01-02-2020 at 07:04 PM.
Old 06-22-2020, 09:31 PM
dog dodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im doing the links on my 2000 2500 4x4 . got passenger side removed but driver side gas tank is in the way of backing the bolt all the way out , dont know whythey didnt have the bolt end and nut of tank side so the bolt head could be backed out eassily . so im wondering did you drop the gas tank to get at it ?

Old 08-31-2020, 12:20 PM
BM9NBA2
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just cut the bolt off then when I put everything new back in I put the bolt in the other way with the nut on the inside instead

Old 08-31-2020, 08:10 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by BM9NBA2
I just cut the bolt off then when I put everything new back in I put the bolt in the other way with the nut on the inside instead
Never kept the rear sway bar on my trucks (or the front) do I can't really help you. As long as there is no up and down movement I would say you are fine

Old 08-31-2020, 09:08 PM
BM9NBA2
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Never kept the rear sway bar on my trucks (or the front) do I can't really help you. As long as there is no up and down movement I would say you are fine
I noticed a big difference with my rear one off so I just keep them on, but mine is lifted too which can make things different. Only downfall with the front is the links do make a lot of noise.

Old 08-31-2020, 09:59 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by BM9NBA2
I noticed a big difference with my rear one off so I just keep them on, but mine is lifted too which can make things different. Only downfall with the front is the links do make a lot of noise.
All my trucks are lifted and I take them off because it let's the suspension flex more

Quick Reply: 01 2500 Rear sway bar links