2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1999 Ram ball joint repair

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2020, 01:28 PM
sealsdw24
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Ram ball joint repair

Hey all,
Newbie here...
I need to replace the ball joints (upper and lower) and tie rod ends on my 99 Ram 1500 2WD, with the 5.2L V8. I'm not sure if they've ever been replaced before, but they are definitely the press in type. My dilemma is every video online seems to be for 4WD replacement, and the Haynes manual wasn't much help...

On to my questions:
1. Do I need to compress the coil spring to SAFELY remove the lower ball joint? I know there are guys out there who are willing to risk it, but I am not one of those.
2. Is a puller required for removing the inner tie rod end or can it be removed with a stiff shot from a heavy hammer the way I removed the outer tie rod end?

Thanks in advance for all of your help, and I apologize if this is a subject that has been discussed more than once.

Old 01-08-2020, 05:09 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

If you lift the front and the spring isn't under tension, I wouldn't think you'd need to compress it further unless it's for clearance to install. Might be better to just remove it anyway. I used a compressor when installing my lift springs and it wasn't too scary.

Grab a pickle fork for tie rods. One or two whacks and they pop right out.

Quick Reply: 1999 Ram ball joint repair