2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Leveling kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2020, 03:26 PM
mikeyshenk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leveling kit

If you put a leveling kit on your truck will you have to replace ball joint and wheel bearings often? Or once you put it in all you need is an adjustable trac bar

Old 01-16-2020, 03:45 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeyshenk
If you put a leveling kit on your truck will you have to replace ball joint and wheel bearings often? Or once you put it in all you need is an adjustable trac bar
No
No
No
Its easy and a cheap way of lifting your vehicle

Old 01-16-2020, 04:17 PM
HeikIlm
Captain
Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts

You can get away with a stock track bar, if you don't mind the left tire poking out from the fender slightly.

Old 01-16-2020, 07:28 PM
armynurse
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I put 2" taller springs up front, and a 2" long-leaf add-a-leaf lift in the rear (and 33" tires). Has the factory length track bar. Looking at the front you can't tell if the tires are shifted to one side or not.

Last edited by armynurse; 01-16-2020 at 07:31 PM.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:08 PM
armynurse
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Before I put the 2" springs up front and the 2" lift add-a-leaf in the rear (see previous post), I put a 1.5" spring spacer up front as a "leveling kit". Afterwards, I noticed something; the back of the truck seemed lower. I had taken measurements before and after, and sure enough, the hitch was now lower after the front spring spacer than before (1-point-something inches - it was a long time ago). So I made about a 5/16" tall lift block out of some steel and bolted it to the spring pack using the spring center bolt, so it sat between the springs and the factory block. That brought the hitch back up to just a little more than before the front spacer. 5/16" higher at the axle (measured at the center of the rear wheel well), but by the time you measured at the hitch, it was almost two inches higher at the hitch.

All I can figure is... think of your truck as a see-saw. When you lift up just the front of the truck, it pivots on the rear axle. And like with a see-saw, when the front of the truck goes up, the back bumper ends up going down. Can you picture it?

Something to think about.

Last edited by armynurse; 01-17-2020 at 10:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Leveling kit