2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.9 carbureted magnum swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2020, 06:01 PM
Hayden.gersh
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.9 carbureted magnum swap

Hi I'm new to the forum, I have a 1996 dodge ram 1500 with a 5.9 I love the power it has factory even for being 24 years old it makes me want to get one build it and swap it in something. my question is if I were to buy a 71 dodge dart and a 5.9 magnum and swap it in there with a carburetor I know how to do that, the only thing I dont understand is it's all computer controlled. So If i carb swap it would i still need the computer and wiring harness and If so how would i go about using it considering it's made for fuel injection and not carb

Old 03-10-2020, 11:13 AM
KillerLemming
Professional
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You wont need the computer, but you will need other parts such as a new intake manifold, water pump, and timing cover. I believe Jegs sells a kit.

Old 03-10-2020, 11:27 AM
AlleyCrawler
Rookie
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm shortly about to start tracking this project myself. 360 magnum into a w150.

Edelbrock air gap intake to mount the carb to, 750cfm carb, you don't need to get the whole lot to fit the cam and water pump cover. That's only if you plan on using the original mechanical fuel pump then you need to get that kit. If you run an electric pump and a regulator you can get by.

Motor bolts in the same spot. I'd recommend going with one of the more expensive but smaller starters. That way they tuck in behind the headers without needing to pull them off to work on it.

You'll probably have the proper distributor, ignition module, and coil in the old vehicle but never hurts to go fresh. They are going to be old.
​​​​​​

​​​​​​Oh yeah and apparently there's a boatload of sensors you can remove if you have the proper plugs to fill. Also make sure you get the proper plate for bolting the TC to. 318s and 360s are balanced differently unless you want to mess around with trying to add weights to your TC. (I sure as hell won't be)

Last edited by AlleyCrawler; 03-10-2020 at 11:32 AM.
Old 03-11-2020, 06:36 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 365 Likes on 343 Posts

If you swap heads to either eq or indy they offer them with the la style bolt pattern so you can use any la intake.

http://www.magnumswap.com/using-la-parts-on-a-magnum/

Old 03-11-2020, 11:50 AM
AlleyCrawler
Rookie
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's another good option too. I'm personally not going that route to be more cost efficient. From what I hear the air gap intake is drilled to fit both styles of heads as well so could be mounted on an older 360 if the opportunity arose.
​​​​​​
Which leads to the other thing I hear that you can drill out the holes on am LA manifold to match up to a magnum head. Supposedly the bolt pattern is the same just the angle of the bolt changes.
​​​

Old 03-12-2020, 04:22 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

There used to be a fixture/jug/drill guide just for that job, floating around one of the forums, they had a deal where you just paid the postage to get it from the last guy that needed it, and the next guy who needed it sent you the postage money.

Quick Reply: 5.9 carbureted magnum swap