2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 Ram 5.2l Random backfire

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2020, 07:18 PM
Monkeyman23
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Ram 5.2l Random backfire

Here is my situation.

2001 Ram 1500 5.2L 2WD starting acting up. Shortly after starting and the engine warms up to normal temps the truck will randomly lose power and backfire until it completely dies. In more detail, I can start the truck for about 10-15 min before anything starts happening but after the truck will lose power and start backfiring. Only engine code was P01391 which was "Loss of Cam or Crank Signals". List of things I changed in hopes of solving this and remember I love my truck so this has been bothering me for some time now.

-Crankshaft sensor

-Ignition pick up coil ( Camshaft sensor/Hall Effect sensor) **In distributor**
-Ignition Coil
-Spark Plugs
-Battery
-Fuel Pump (most $$$)
-Had the timing looked at by 2 different mechanics
-Used Carb Cleaner
-Just bought IAC Valve

Any info would be grateful I am so lost

Old 04-04-2020, 10:52 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Monkeyman23
Here is my situation.

2001 Ram 1500 5.2L 2WD starting acting up. Shortly after starting and the engine warms up to normal temps the truck will randomly lose power and backfire until it completely dies. In more detail, I can start the truck for about 10-15 min before anything starts happening but after the truck will lose power and start backfiring. Only engine code was P01391 which was "Loss of Cam or Crank Signals". List of things I changed in hopes of solving this and remember I love my truck so this has been bothering me for some time now.

-Crankshaft sensor

-Ignition pick up coil ( Camshaft sensor/Hall Effect sensor) **In distributor**
-Ignition Coil
-Spark Plugs
-Battery
-Fuel Pump (most $$$)
-Had the timing looked at by 2 different mechanics
-Used Carb Cleaner
-Just bought IAC Valve

Any info would be grateful I am so lost
What brand crank sensor and pick up coil? If it isn't Mopar then that is most likely your problem

Quick Reply: 2001 Ram 5.2l Random backfire