2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lifting front/rear end

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2020, 11:51 AM
Packwood Digital
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lifting front/rear end

I know this is probably a silly question but can I lift the front and or rear end by jacking up under the differential housing? I’ve read that some trucks this is a really bad idea but never gotten anything definitive on it. I’m aware of “safety issues” as far as it falling, the context I’m looking for is will it cause actual damage to anything on the truck itself...

Old 06-19-2020, 12:30 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Packwood Digital
I know this is probably a silly question but can I lift the front and or rear end by jacking up under the differential housing? I’ve read that some trucks this is a really bad idea but never gotten anything definitive on it. I’m aware of “safety issues” as far as it falling, the context I’m looking for is will it cause actual damage to anything on the truck itself...
Depends on who you ask lol. Ask Dodge they will say no, me I do it all the time as I'm lifted and that's the lowest point.

Old 06-19-2020, 12:36 PM
Packwood Digital
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Depends on who you ask lol. Ask Dodge they will say no, me I do it all the time as I'm lifted and that's the lowest point.
Lol I’m lifted as well, my thoughts exactly. Thank you!

Old 06-19-2020, 12:53 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Packwood Digital
Lol I’m lifted as well, my thoughts exactly. Thank you!
Just make sure you have a good bite into the diff if it slips off the jack, there bad news

Old 06-19-2020, 03:56 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 342 Likes on 323 Posts

Lifting at the differential under the cover area has never caused me any issues, however, care should be taken to not disturb the cover/seal (center the differential in the jack cradle well and jack on solid ground) and always use jack stands to support the differential housing before getting under the truck to work on it. Many years ago, I know of an individual that a vehicle fell off a jack and the differential center pinned their chest to the ground and caused suffocation/death.

Quick Reply: Lifting front/rear end