2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Shocks will NOT come off!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2020, 07:27 PM
Don’t H8 the V8
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shocks will NOT come off!

I have a 1994 Dodge Ram 1500 2wd. I am doing a leveling kit and decided to replace the shocks and when doing the front shocks they well not come out. They just spin. I have tried everything reasonable to my knowledge. If anyone has any suggestions that work please let me know ASAP

Old 07-14-2020, 07:47 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 320 Likes on 302 Posts

Use some vise grip pliers to clamp the shock rod in place. Once the shock rod is held firmly in-place, you can remove the upper shock nuts. Be sure to spray some PB Blaster on the shock nuts and let them soak a bit before trying to remove them.

Old 07-14-2020, 08:02 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by Don’t H8 the V8
I have a 1994 Dodge Ram 1500 2wd. I am doing a leveling kit and decided to replace the shocks and when doing the front shocks they well not come out. They just spin. I have tried everything reasonable to my knowledge. If anyone has any suggestions that work please let me know ASAP

There is a two piece toll that will sometimes take the upper nut off. One piece fits the nut. Another, longer piece slides inside and holds the flat part of the upper stud. Clean all the rust off the threads (it acts like little wedges) and use penetrant on it. Without the tool, you can sometimes use a small adjustable crescent to hold the upper stud. I've also used cut off wheels to cut the upper nut off. I've even used a nut splitter over the years. Once the nut is gone, the shock will drop out. I've learned new curse words on front studded shocks so keep at it.

Old 07-15-2020, 06:40 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 365 Likes on 343 Posts

Get a die grinder with a cut off wheel and cut at the base of the nut. Done!

The following users liked this post:
2bit (07-15-2020)
Old 07-20-2020, 09:11 AM
jaze5736
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Don’t H8 the V8
I had the same issue. There is a spot for a little 9mm wrench at the top of the shock and if you’re lucky it should hold it in place while you loosen the larger nut. But it’ll probably strip out like mine and you’ll need to cut the nut off

Quick Reply: Shocks will NOT come off!