2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Oil Pressure Gauge Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2020, 09:42 PM
Monkeyman23
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pressure Gauge Issue

2001 Ram 1500 w/318 (5.2 L)

Went through hell and back to get this thing going, changed engine spark plugs ignition coil crankshaft sensor, replaced oil did all that jazz

Me being a complete monkey decided to go ahead and floor the damn thing thinking things would open up and all of a sudden the pressure gauge drops to 0 and I get the check gauges light

Just wondering what my next steps are, I didn't cheap out on oil it was synthetic with the synthetic fram filter and barely drove 2-3000km

Any help is appreciated, new to the dodge community but I love my ****ty ram with half a dashboard

Old 07-16-2020, 10:22 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Monkeyman23
2001 Ram 1500 w/318 (5.2 L)

Went through hell and back to get this thing going, changed engine spark plugs ignition coil crankshaft sensor, replaced oil did all that jazz

Me being a complete monkey decided to go ahead and floor the damn thing thinking things would open up and all of a sudden the pressure gauge drops to 0 and I get the check gauges light

Just wondering what my next steps are, I didn't cheap out on oil it was synthetic with the synthetic fram filter and barely drove 2-3000km

Any help is appreciated, new to the dodge community but I love my ****ty ram with half a dashboard
First thing I would do is hook up a mechanical gauge and see what that says. I will say my Durango did that and it was the Plenum.

Old 07-16-2020, 11:26 PM
Monkeyman23
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default **Update**

When I popped the hood I found my air intake out of position (long neck was dislodged from air box completely and half in the fender) but oil levels were okay nothing seemed out of the ordinary

Driving it after 2 hours I found that when I floor it (truck lets me redline in first and second gear which scares me) the oil pressure gauge starts working again

Wondering if that's still a symptom of a plenum leak?

Old 07-17-2020, 12:01 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Monkeyman23
When I popped the hood I found my air intake out of position (long neck was dislodged from air box completely and half in the fender) but oil levels were okay nothing seemed out of the ordinary

Driving it after 2 hours I found that when I floor it (truck lets me redline in first and second gear which scares me) the oil pressure gauge starts working again

Wondering if that's still a symptom of a plenum leak?
First thing I would do (I hate throwing parts at a vehicle) is hook up a mechanical gauge (can rent from part store) and take it to the windshield and floor it. If it still does it, then you have a problem. It could be a bad oil pressure switch

Old 07-17-2020, 11:20 PM
dodgedakota98luver
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need to hook up a manual gauge and check it. These trucks don’t have real gauges it is an idiot light disguised as a gauge. It’s possible you have very little oil pressure and when you rev it the oil pressure gets high enough to make the gauge pop up and work.

Old 07-18-2020, 09:52 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 365 Likes on 343 Posts

all of a sudden the pressure gauge drops to 0 and I get the check gauges light
Might also be an issue with the gauges. Have you done the gauge test?

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure Gauge Issue