2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Mystery harness inside dash

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2020, 09:38 AM
CIC2016
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mystery harness inside dash

All,

I'm finishing up wiring for my 1995 dodge 12 valve, and the harness to my stereo is not putting out constant 12v.

In the picture, the "dead-end" loom of pink wires on the left does have constant 12v. What is this for?

The small connector on the right doesn't go anywhere. What is this for?

I completely removed the dash, so I might have missed the other end of it. Any help or advice is welcome!

Old 08-18-2020, 09:51 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by CIC2016
All,

I'm finishing up wiring for my 1995 dodge 12 valve, and the harness to my stereo is not putting out constant 12v.

In the picture, the "dead-end" loom of pink wires on the left does have constant 12v. What is this for?

The small connector on the right doesn't go anywhere. What is this for?

I completely removed the dash, so I might have missed the other end of it. Any help or advice is welcome!
When the wiring harness is made, it's just easier and less complicated to make them all the same. The extra plugs may be for options your truck didn't have new. This way, they only have to keep on particular harness in stock for the production line. As for your pink wire not having constant 12 volts, does it have it when the ignition is in the on or acc position? If so, that's your power wire. There will be another one that has a constant power and that's the memory wire.

Old 08-18-2020, 10:01 AM
CIC2016
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
When the wiring harness is made, it's just easier and less complicated to make them all the same. The extra plugs may be for options your truck didn't have new. This way, they only have to keep on particular harness in stock for the production line. As for your pink wire not having constant 12 volts, does it have it when the ignition is in the on or acc position? If so, that's your power wire. There will be another one that has a constant power and that's the memory wire.
The memory wire has no power. The red "on" wire has power when ignition switch is turned to on. Fuses are intact, and I have a diagram. Just can't figure out what small connector is, or why there are a half dozen live 12v dead-end. I'll use one of these as my constant to the stereo, unless someone has a reason not to.

Old 08-18-2020, 08:42 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by CIC2016
The memory wire has no power. The red "on" wire has power when ignition switch is turned to on. Fuses are intact, and I have a diagram. Just can't figure out what small connector is, or why there are a half dozen live 12v dead-end. I'll use one of these as my constant to the stereo, unless someone has a reason not to.
That white plug is a junction they use it to send power to all the other pink wires. You'll notice it has a cap on the end of it. The little plug might have been for the factory radio

Old 08-19-2020, 06:38 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 389 Likes on 366 Posts

The factory radios had black and gray plugs. You may want to have a look at the wiring diagrams to see if you can find the plugs and what they are for. That is if they are factory, I see a lot of bare wires and tape.
Amazon Amazon

Quick Reply: Mystery harness inside dash