2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Brake calipers sticking?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2020, 11:26 AM
Liddlez
Veteran
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ugly1
I recently went through a similar thing where my brakes were sticking and I couldn't figure it out at first.

As a hail mary I changed the master cylinder and booster first since it seemed way easier than that pedal pivot up inside the dash. Well that didn't help at all. Pedal still sticking.

I bit the bullet and dug into the dash and dug that pedal pivot out of there, man what a pin in the you know what. Mine was half corroded away and the pedal had a bunch of slop. I found a fairly clean looking one, off eBay, from somewhere in the south where moisture isn't the big problem it is here slathered that thinkg up with marine grease. And reused the plastic bushing things since I could not find replacements for those, and slapper her all back in there.

It's been working great since I put the new pedal pivot/shaft in there but man what a pain that job was.
Wow! I sure hope that’s it because I’m so ready to see her running!

Is this the pivot you’re referring to? Thank you.

Old 10-07-2020, 12:03 PM
Liddlez
Veteran

I unhooked the rod from the brake, and the brake pedal moves easily, BUT stays in place. It doesn’t rock back and forth on it’s own. It stays put in the position you leave it in.

Old 10-07-2020, 12:48 PM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

If that is a picture of yours in the photo above, I will say mine looked much worse than that. I wish I'd saved it, but I think I threw it away.

The one weird thing about your pic is I don't see any of those white plastic bushings on the shaft. Without them I would expect there to be extra slop. Mine was a little different though since it has the clutch pedal on there too..

Old 10-07-2020, 12:55 PM
Liddlez
Veteran

Originally Posted by Ugly1
If that is a picture of yours in the photo above, I will say mine looked much worse than that. I wish I'd saved it, but I think I threw it away.

The one weird thing about your pic is I don't see any of those white plastic bushings on the shaft. Without them I would expect there to be extra slop. Mine was a little different though since it has the clutch pedal on there too..
That is a sample picture from eBay. I haven’t gotten to that point yet. The large rocker pin is becoming difficult to push out. I’ve removed the “e” clips.

Quick Reply: Brake calipers sticking?