2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

02 Ram digital overhead console install

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 02:09 AM
RCBLUE
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Ram digital overhead console install

I have a 2002 Ram 2500 diesel that did not come with the digital overhead console with the compass and temp ect. I recently got the digital console and would like to install it but, I need to know what wiring mods are needed. I called four different Dodge dealers and got four different answers on what I needed. And they still were not sure if it could even be done. Does anyone here know about this and what is involved? If so please advise me. Or at least point me in the right direction. I am very capable when it comes to wireing. I just need to know what's all involved.

Old 12-23-2005, 05:23 PM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: 02 Ram digital overhead console install

This may not be the answer you want to hear,
but it is my understanding that the wiring is there,
but you have to have a different PCM computer 'flash'
to make the overhead trip computer work.

Here are two aftermarket alternatives:

For 1996 and up with the OBD-II PCM software:

http://scangauge.com/

for any vehicle of any year (gasoline or diesel) this unique
Australian built trip computer will work:

http://www.oztechnics.com.au/trip_menu.htm

I have an Oztrip on a 1995 gasoline Ram.

Old 12-23-2005, 11:42 PM
RCBLUE
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have already looked for the wires and it seems to be onle wired for the power to the lights. Every Dodge dealer goves me a different answer. A parts guy at one of them said that a former employee had done just what I want to do but of course he no longer works there. Another dealer said they would install the console for around $500.00. I'm just not sure that I want to know what direction I am going that bad.

Old 12-25-2005, 06:26 AM
1969roadrunner
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, are you talking about the OTIS (Overhead/Onboard Travel/Trip Information System) system, or just the Comp/Temp set up? If it's the OTIS system, from what I understand, you need a different PCM, which you could buy new or pick up used at a junk yard... There is another forum - DodgeIntrepid.net - that dicussed doing the same thing in the cars. I would recommend going there and searching for it... It was called OTIS Install, or something like that, and was listed as a "how-to." Read that, it will help give you an idea of what is needed...

Old 12-25-2005, 11:07 AM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

from the many topics discussed here its a 50/50 situation... you can just pull off your headliner and see if the BUS wiring is there..if not youd have to get the harness from the stealership and hope it plugs-n-plays into the PCM.. and the extrenal sensors are already on your ram... you can get a chiltons or haynes and check it out in there..scince you got an 02 my man wont do you any good.. im sure ittl have some kind of info it is for either system..i know theres the temp sensor and other senors used to calculate all the info... best bet to give you a good idea if itll be easy or a PITA would be pull the headliner and see if theres a bundle or some kind of leads hanging there... your lookin for a BUS connections .. a data line like a thik cable .. some thing like a cable used for CD chagners... check that first... it would be the best first step!!! goodluck!

Quick Reply: 02 Ram digital overhead console install