2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HELP!: update: evidence of implacable alien virus

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2020, 05:42 PM
true blue
Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Default HELP!: update: evidence of implacable alien virus

'96 Dodge Ram 1500/5.2/242K (all original engine) miles. Engine running and idling fine AGAIN, after dying twice n no starting for several minutes (last week, which I posited a question). The failure occurred at low speed and load condition. I cleaned (I think) a bad body ground. It read around 2-5 ohms on ye 'ol DVDM. Good compression (120-145 all cylinders). Fuel pump pressure 50-54 psi even when revving. Spark plugs-brownish. All cylinders show (borescoped) 25 years of wear, but not oil or excess carbon buildup. Except for 4-6 oz's of oil in catch can, 'ol blue using less than 1/2 qt oil between changes since valve stem seals. Long term fuel trim running lean (-3.2, on average)/short term is the "anomaly in the matrix". It's running at 0.0 WAAAAY TOO MUCH?!? Injectors cleaned every 3-5 years, last done, last year. The oracle of technological interpretation states... "OPEN LOOP-DRIVE", again, waaaay too much. Even at moderate or low acceleration the oracle indicates "OPEN-LOOP DRIVE". After consulting the high priest scotty kilmer and his fellow purveyors of mechanical magic, I came upon an ancient text in a scroll labeled "jaguar", stating that open loop drive is a problem with the O2 sensor sending confusing signals to the ECM.
QUESTION:
Is the Dodge Ram "OL-DRIVE" indication on the scanner the same as the jag? I can find no evidence under the ancient text of Dodge to resolve this quest I'm on. Any experience with this failure and/or cure out there?
Also, is denso still the preferred O2 sensor for replacement?

Last edited by true blue; 11-02-2020 at 05:45 PM. Reason: add additional question
Old 11-02-2020, 06:55 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 364 Likes on 342 Posts

For 02's you want NTK! 96 has two temp sensors, One for the pcm the other for the meter. You may want to verify that the temp sensor for the motor is working. If it's not working the pcm thinks it's still too cool and stays in open loop. You may want to loose the high priest of magic and ask the wizards you can find here.

Old 11-03-2020, 08:41 AM
true blue
Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm running a 180 stat. The ECM tells the scanner approx 180 once it's up to temp. It stays within +/- 5 depending on load condition n ambient temp. The "meter" has never been anything but on target. I did notice during the "OL-drive" problem, the ECM engine temp is hanging around 180.

Quick Reply: HELP!: update: evidence of implacable alien virus