2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wiper fuse keeps blowing after new windshield installed

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2020, 05:41 PM
jpilk99
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiper fuse keeps blowing after new windshield installed

I have a '97 1500 4x4 that got clobbered by a big 'ol tree limb during a snow storm a week or so ago. Lined up a windshield replacement and it looks good. The "tech" couldn't have done a worse job, I think, if he tried. Broken glass still everywhere - about 5 pieces of 3" long shards behind the drivers front wheel. Crunching away in the hinges. Turn on the defroster and tiny shards go everywhere. Whatever, I cleaned that all up. But I noticed right away that my windshield washer fluid no longer sprayed. With engine off, I could hear the pump going ...and then 5 seconds later I could see it dripping on the ground. Okay, the tech didn't reattach the washer fluid hose, (or not correctly), so that shouldn't be a big deal. Also noticed he didn't reconnect the drivers wiper blade correctly as it only reached to about 4" from the side pillar, as oposed to within 1" before he took the blade off. So, given what a crappy job he did, ( as well as when he first got here and said he wouldn't do the work because there was a little show on the roof of the truck ...and told me to Take it to a car wash and wash it off. Windshield completely shattered, a 10" gash and the glass more than an 1" apart from one another, and so many cracks that you could NOT see through the windshield ...and this guy is telling me to DRIVE TO A CAR WASH), I decided I'd let the glass company come back out and work in my driveway to reconnect the hose; it's about 10 degrees out currently.

So, a nice young lady came out and vacuumed up a ton of remaining glass. Took a few minutes, but, she got the wiper blades off, took off the plastic cowl cover, and - easy peezy, there's the un-connected hose. Reconnected and ...problem solved, I have flowing washer fluid again. She also vacuumed a ton of glass in and around the physical arms of the wiper system that came off the wiper motor. Very nice. Put cowl cover back on and then the wipers. Noticed though that the driver's wiper was still not on correctly and coming well short of the pillar. So, a little wrestling and she got it back off to adjust it.

But, somewhere in this whole process, some part of the wiring got bungled because now the wipers don't work (nor the fluid) and the fuse keeps blowing. She tried a few things (not a mechanic by any stretch) and nothing changed. The second I try and turn on wipers, the fuse blows.

I was thinking maybe when she vacuumed around the wires that maybe the insulation cracked and it's shorting out. I got my compressor out and blew every scrap of dirt/glass/etc. out of the area where the wiring harness goes and I can't see any shorts/breaks. Wondering if maybe the motor is bolloxed up, from when she was wrestling the last time to get the blades off. She said the glass company would pay for the repair, but, ...that's going to take a while to get it over to the mechanic's shop and "fit it into" his schedule. I'm thinking if I take the motor out, and disconnect it, maybe I can determine if the short/ground is in the harness or the motor. But not sure.

Hoping someone here has some words or wisdom or guidance. Thanks in advance.

Jay

Old 12-20-2020, 02:29 PM
jpilk99
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bad motor - ordering new...

Quick Reply: Wiper fuse keeps blowing after new windshield installed